Chapter Seventeen

Emily's Point Of View

I'm not exactly sure how we did it, but we finally talked Darry into letting us go to the cabins for a week. Most of the thanks goes to Sodapop, his smooth talking and sweet smile made Darry give in. It would of been easier if Dallas hadn't opened his mouth and made a joke about Ponyboy and Morgan having 'too much fun'.

Two-bit sure did butter up that girl, Vicky, well. Originally it was just supposed to be a weekend, but he got us a whole week, and another car to use. But she tagged along because 'her father would kill her' if she lent the place to a group of people she hardly knew and didn't keep an eye on them.

After throwing our bags in the trunks we pile into the cars. Darry is making Morgan, Ponyboy, Dallas and I ride with him in his truck. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't being so uptight about everything. Morgan and Ponyboy stick to each other like glue as they sit in the front bench seat. Obviously, Darry takes his place in the driver's seat and Dallas and I hop in back. Every one knows Johnny would be heartbroken if he couldn't ride with Dal and Ponyboy, so we let him hop in back next to me. In the other car Soda drives, Steve sits in the passengers seat and Two-bit and Vicky are in back together.

We have a long drive a head of us, at least three hours. I sigh and rest my head against Dallas's shoulder as Ponyboy reads a book, Morgan entwines different colored string together, most likely making a bracelet and Johnny twiddles his thumbs.

--

"Heads up, Sodapop!" Steve yells as he tosses him a bag. We've finally made it to the cabins. Which are located in a beautiful forest, with tall, strong trees. Their leaves ever so delicately traced in pigments of golds. The sky is mostly shadowed by the forest, but what you can see of it is a light blue, filled with white clouds; not too long ago we passed a big lake. Vicky told us ahead of time to bring bathing suits in case we wanted to go swimming.

"Now Darry," Sodapop says after tossing a bag on the porch of one of the small cabins, "where is everyone gunna sleep?"

"Pony and Dallas sleep in that cabin with me." He says sternly, pointing to the cabin not to far from this one.

"Now wait just a damn minute," Dallas chimes in, "I don't wanna have to sleep with you, man. I don't think you'd like me gettin up on you in the middle of the night." I press my palm to my forehead, oh gosh Dallas. Darry's jaw clenches.

"And I sure as hell wouldn't like you getting up on Emily in the middle of the night, Dallas." As he says this I can hear the anger fluctuate in his voice.

"Fuck, man. I didn't mean it like that." He replies.

Steve bursts out laughing. "Yeah, Darry, you really want Dal hugging on you?"

Dallas raises his eyebrows.

"Fine." Darry says angrily, "and while you're at it, just let Ponyboy and Morgan sleep in the same bed too." He throws a bag over his shoulder and walks off to the other cabin. I rub my arms and raise my eye brows at Dallas, I can't believe he just said that to Darry. I also can't believe that Dallas wants to hold me. I've grown almost envious of how Morgan and Ponyboy never want to be more than two feet away from each other; I just started to think that Dallas didn't want to be any closer to me than two feet. He just has different ways of showing he cares, I guess. If he cares that is.

"Dal, can I be in your guy's cabin?" Johnny asks quietly as he approaches Dallas.

"Sure thing, Johnny." He says as he slumps a bag over his shoulder and struts into the cabin; I giggle at the way he holds himself as he walks. Ponyboy and Morgan race to see who can get to the cabin first, obviously Pony won; all those after hours in track paid off. I follow them in, smiling. I feel as if the soft porch wood is going to break out from underneath me.

As I walk through the open door I take in the scent of camp fires and cigarettes, and in all honesty, it smells amazing. To my left a couch is pressed up against the wall underneath a big window. Sitting across from it, is a small tv with antennas reaching high, dust in a thick layer over the top. Directly ahead is the hallway, at the end there's a linen closet and two doors on the left wall. To my right there is an icebox, a stove and a table with six chairs.

Walking into the hallway I see Dallas and Johnny unloading bags into the dresser to the first door on my left. Johnny grabs a blanket and lays it carefully across the bed in the far right corner. Dal turns to me holding up a beige bra, he lifts his eyebrows up and down.

"Dallas," I grab the bra and shove it into the bottom of the dresser drawer. He laughs at me and walks out of the room.

"It's a bra, princess." He says down the hallway, I laugh a little. I finish unpacking while making small talk with Johnny, I'm glad he finally opened up to me. I know he's a quite kid, but this is the first time he's ever said more than a sentence to me.

I hear conversation coming from the main room, shouts and laughs of joy. I smile as

Sodapop rushes through the door way. "Come on guys! Get your bathing suits on, we're going down to the lake!" The over enthusiasm in his voice makes me a little jittery.

I laugh and grab my light blue bathing suit and a black big t-shirt from the drawer. I can hear Steve yelling and Dallas swearing at him, telling him to be quiet or else he'll slit his throat open with a fork.

I push by Sodapop as he helps Johnny find a pair of shorts to use. I change in the bathroom. The bottoms are high waisted and the top is strapless, as they are in most women's bathing suits. I pull on the t-shirt over it; I wouldn't feel comfortable walking the whole way in just a bathing suit.

I walk down the short hallway and into the living room, where everyone is crowded around. Steve is arm wrestling Sodapop at the small table, Two-bit and Vicky are watching the wrestling match closely; not in a serious manner though. Johnny sits quietly next to Ponyboy and Morgan, whom are snuggled closely on the couch, one towel wrapped around the both of them. I walk up to Dallas, he's wearing a pair of dark shorts that sit a little lower on his waist than they should. I slip my hand into his back pocket as he slings an arm around my shoulder.

"Man, why do you always wear my clothes?" He asks under his breath.

"Because."

"That's not a reason, smart ass."

I smile a little, "Of course it isn't. You just would prefer me to wear no clothes at all." He nods slightly.

"Damn right." I laugh and look over at Darry standing with his arms crossed, wearing his tight black t-shirt. Sodapop turns his head and looks me dead in the eye, his lips spread into a little smile.

"He likes to show off his muscles." He laughs sweetly as Darry points a finger at him.

"I'll show 'em off on you little buddy, you get any mouthier." We all laugh a little at this. But I can't hear any one else's except Dallas heavy chuckle; which makes me laugh harder.

Morgan gets my attention and leans her head back while laughing, it's a mimic of Dallas's chuckle. Soon enough I'm on the ground in tears, having trouble breathing because I'm laughing too hard.