07

Fergus tried to smile, but it must have looked more like a grimace

Fergus tried to smile, but it must have looked more like a grimace. The table was neatly set for a common family. There was a small girl with flaming locks of auburn hair and eyes of emerald green. Her eyes were glassy, staring at the opposite wall. Across from him a teen boy sat, seemingly glaring daggers at Fergus, and those sky blue eyes seemed to know exactly what Fergus was responsible for. In the end of the table, a man sat, offering Fergus a welcoming smile as he waved him over. “Come, sit Fergus.”

Leah had seated herself next to the small girl and the woman who had dissappeared into the kitchen seemed to be seated across the table from the man. Only open spot was next to the blue eyed man who was angry at his family, or angry at Fergus.

Taking the last of his courage, he sat next to the teen.

After the food had been delivered to the table, Fergus was really starting to doubt in the country he was currently in. There were German dishes on the table, perhaps their roots were from Germany?

As he started eating in the awkward silence, hoping it hadn't been poisoned by the odd family. “I heard you like tricks, what kind of tricks do you like the most?” the man asked, seemingly analyzing Fergus' every move. For a split second the orphans eyes met with Leahs, but the girl looked down, giving the boy cold shoulder.

“card tricks, sir.” he answered briefly, wondering if he should listen Leahs advice earlier. “and how long have you been doing card tricks?” he asked, resting his elbows on the table as he offered Fergus seemingly friendly smile. The food on the plates was almost gone, which Fergus was glad for, it gave him an excuse to get going soon.

The boy gulped, wishing he would have stayed at the stupid caffee shop and drowned in his self pity there. “for some time.” the man hummed at him, studying Fergus closely.

Suddenly it dawned to Fergus, none of those people, minus Leah, seemed to be grieving. No one had asked him about Ref, no one had asked him how he was involved. “would you demonstrate? In the living room perhaps?” he asked in a tone that made Fergus' skin crawl. The boy stumbled over his words, getting rather horrible vibe as he once again caught the glare from the boy sitting next to him. “I don't-- I don't have my cards, sir.” the man waved him off, Leah, the little girl whose name Fergus still didn't know and Refs Foster mother all stood up and like robots, started cleaning the table. “nonsense! Braxton, go fetch us a deck of cards.” the boy who hadn't uttered a word, stood up from the table and silently exited the room.

“come, Fergus, let's have a chat in the living room.” Fergus stood and widened his eyes in surprise, the man whose voice was rough and commanding was in a wheelchair. Not wanting to look rude, he hurried after the man, feeling coldness creeping in, there was something off, something he didn't really like. Or perhaps he was just paranoid. A week of not sleeping had finally gotten to him.

The living room was posh, elegant red couches were in the middle of the room, facing a huge fireplace. A large window was facing the yard that was filled with flowers. Fergus hadn't really realized there was a huge, high built walls behind the house.