10

Twenty-four hours and oddly, the tall teen was once again facing the gigantic mansion Remington had lived in

He slid his poisonous eyes over the building, noting that most windows had curtains over them and there didn't seem to be any lights on either.

A funny, shivering feeling pierced his gut. It made his back rigid and eyes alert. And suddenly he was aware of every little sound. He noticed the way the leaves rustled above them, the way the small rocks creaking under Nick Lennon's wheelchair and he even saw the bushy tail of a squirrel disappearing higher into the trees.

He followed the Mr. and Mrs. Lennon inside, stopping when the door behind him was closed.

"Leah, come here please," Nick called out, wheeling himself towards the living room as Fergus followed suit, gripping the straps of his bag in anxiety. "Love, I must go down to the garage, see how everything's holding up." his wife said, waiting until she got a nod from the man and then took off, not even sparing Fergus another glance. He got the feeling she wasn't really fond of him.

A short, brown-haired girl appeared on the doorway. "Yes?"
"Please do show Fergus to his room, I must tend to the gardens now. And Fergus? Be down precisely in an hour, let's meet the whole family then." Nick said, looking outside of the large windows that showed the beautiful gardens outside.
Leah nodded, walking past Fergus as she nodded him to follow.

The teen sighed in relief once he realized there was some kind of familiar face. Sure, he had never really been close friends with Leah but she was Refsters stepsister after all. She had been to his school, he'd often seen her writing something for the school newspaper. "Hey, Leah. How are you?" Fergus asked gently, washing his eyes over the moody girl in concern.

Fergus was by far not the feelings kind of guy, but Leah being Ref's sister, he felt some kind of urge to make sure the girl was alright. And as far as his senses told him, she seemed to be holding back something. "I'm fine. Thank you, Fergus. Now, here's your room. As Nick said, be down in an hour. Not a minute later, trust me." she said firmly, pushing open a wooden door and stepping aside to let him in.

The bedroom wasn't big, it had just enough room for a window that faced the front gate, a one-person bed, desk, chair, and a closet. An older TV model hung from the wall opposite of bed, which seemed to make the room rather comfortable. The walls were pale white, except the one that was behind the bed, this was dark blue. Sea blue carpet covered half of the room, looking actually rather grand against the mahogany floor. Fergus spotted a dreamcatcher hanging over the bed. Of course, he could not miss the gigantic, fake Captain America's shield that hung over the desk.

The boys' breath hitched as he froze. He was too shocked and horrified to move from the spot he was standing on near the door.

Sure, the room looked nice and cozy. But it had been Refsters room, it just had to be. That shield had been a gift from Fergus. He had mocked the fair-headed boy for being too obsessed with heroes, so after they had received the news Refster being adopted, Fergus had stolen it from a toy shop and given it to his friend. so he could use it against the new family if he felt like it.