09

He had always thought that the possibility for him to get adopted was as big as aliens taking over the earth and actually liking the place

Fergus, whose surname was Finlay after Ms. Finlay, was definitely not a stepson material. He defied rules, he absolutely couldn't stand them. Sure, he could tolerate other kids but he preferred to be alone, he liked to sit in silence once in a while.

Oh, and apparently, he gets other people killed.

He gently slid his fingers over the red bandana, it had some kind of white symbols on it. It baffled him how something so useless could hold such value to it. Now this, little piece of blood red clothing meant more to him then any amount of money ever would. He raised it to his head, ready to tie it over his mess of a hair, but as he went to tie the knot, he yerked it off, not having realized how fast his breathing had gotten.

No, no.

That won't do. It was Refsters.

Instead, he tied it around his wrist and pulled the sleeve of his hoodie -—the one that was actually clean— over it and hid the bright colour carefully.

Fergus took a deep inhale and raised his chin higher. “Fifth time is the charm.” he mumbled, pushing down the bad thoughts about what if's. He could till clearly remember the last time he was told to pack his bags.

He decided that none of them were worth of his panic and anxiety, so, he shook himself like a dog and left the bathroom.

Down the hall he could see one of the kids coming. “Hey, Mary!” the girl glared at him and narrowed her eyes. “It's Margaret.” the teen waved her off, knowing fairly well the girl was getting annoyed with him. At this point, he really didn't care. “Yeah, whatever Marley, did you see the folks downstairs? Are they here already?”

The girl rolled her dark eyes, crossing her boney arms. “Yeah sure they are, congratulations Frankenstein, your bright future awaits! Just do us all a favour and behave, I think it's your last chance to get somewhere with life, unless you want to be thrown on the streets after Finlay strops getting money for you. And-- there he goes, have a nice life! Not.” Fergus slammed the door of his bedroom, or the one he had been using the previous years. After closing the old, days seen door that had paint falling off of it, he could still hear Mary mutter curses at the boy.

Apparently, Fergus couldn't care less. He absolutely loathed the place. He stepped in front of the bed he had been sleeping on, gently touching the grey sheets on the top bunk. The one Ref had been using not that long ago.

He growled lowly under his breath, tearing his bothered eyes away to the pathetic, worn out backpack that was full of his stuff. As he threw it over his shoulder, he snapped his head right, towards the familiar sound.

Fergus narrowed his green eyes, looking at the two creatures who had somehow managed to fit both of themselves sitting in the open window sill His poisonous orbs danced from one bird to another. “You can start nesting here for all I care, seriously, just stop freaking me out will you.” he mumbled, curiously looking at the new bird. They were both large, bigger then averfq cats that's for sure. Somehow, he saw the difference between the two. The first bird who had been following him for some time seemed to be slightly hesitant towards the newcomer.

The new bord suddenly screeched so loud it made Fergus jump, not having expected it. “yeah, yeah, shut up.” the boy mumbled, leaving the two sitting on the windowsill as he slammed the door.

To his surprise, he realised it was Wednesday, which meant most of the kids were at school. At least there was something good about the day.

Fergus strolled down the hall and halted, hearing the familiar voice of Mrs Finlay with her heavy Irish accent. Even thought she sounded welcoming, he could still feel the layer of annoyance and panic there. The woman really liked her money.

Fergus decided to meet his next let down and possibly let those new people see what they were going up against.

As he was half way down the stairs, surprised none of the steps had cracked yet, he froze, staring at the people downstairs with wide eyes.

Fergus had been preparing himself for almost everything, really, he had expected almost everything, but not this.

“Yes, he's quite the gentleman and I believe he'll be downstairs any min-- oh would ye look at that! Talk about the devil and he shall appear.” Finlay laughed too loudly, making Fergus flinch.

“Come down now, boy, we don't have all day.” the woman who was supposed to be his step mother said, offering him a tight-lipped smile. Fergus nodded mutely, brushing the thin layer of sweat from his forehead.

Sooner then he'd liked, he was buckling himself in, watching with dry lips as the orphanage got further and further away.

“You know, I was really impressed with you.” Fergus snapped his eyes to the seat next to him, forcing away every emotion from his face.

“Thank you, sir.” the man held out his hand, and Fergus shook it“I don't think I introduced myself properly, I am Nicholas, however, most just call me Nick.” Fergus nodded, gulping nervously as he forced hinself to look out of the dimmed car windows.

Nicholas Lennon was the last person he had expected to adopt him.

“Remingtons death came unexpected to us.” Fergus curled his finger around the red bandana that was hidden under his sleeve. Other then that, and ticked jaw, he showed no other emotions.

He wasn't prepared for them to bring that up so soon. It was still fresh, far from healing, wound. He nodded, not looking away from the passing scenery.

“I was told that you had been there, on the scene with him. Am I correct?” there was an authority in the fragile looking man's voice that demanded Fergus' attention. “Indeed I was, sir.” his voice was low, so he wouldn't give in to the lump in his throat.

“Did Remington tell you anything? Before he passed away in your arms. Anything at all?” The teen peeked over to the intimidating man and shook his head. “No, sir.” he decided to go along. “was he supposed to?” the man smiled at him, to Fergus however, it looked like a snarl of a wolf.

“Before we get home. I think it would be fitting to tell you the rules and yes, we do have them. Now that you're one of us, the Lennon's, you are going to start acting like one. First and the most important rule, you will not call anyone, no girlfriends no friends, over. Our home is important to us.”

Some kind of alarm bells went off in the back of Fergus' head, but he brushed it off. He didn't have any friends anyways, not anymore.

“Second of all, everything that happens in this household, all the problems and worries, they will stay in there. I suspect it might sound odd to you, but it is for all of our own good. You will soon understand why.”

As much as he racked his brain, Fergus could not remember Ref having said any of this.

“And thirdly, you will not be attending Midtown High any longer. You will be home schooled, like the rest of the children.” the teen snapped his head up, nearly yanking off the red banana tied around his wrist with the sudden movement.

“What? Why?” he hadn't expected to be so sour about the news, he had loathed school. But without admitting it to himself, he had grown rather fond of going there once in a while and bothering the Headmaster.

“Trust me, boy, it will make your new life a lot easier.”

A\N

So,what do you think of it?