28

His stomach ached, the hungry growl making him grit his teeth

His stomach ached, the hungry growl making him grit his teeth. His temple throbbed whenever he made any sudden movements and he carefully raised his t-shirt to look over his abdomen. It wasn't as bad as he would have thought and he had a feeling Chip had gone easy on him, merely giving him a hint of what would happen if he disobeyed again. He allowed the shirt to slip through his fingers and cover the darkening bruises once again.

He reached for the glass of water he had noticed sitting beside his mattress, the large gulp eased his empty stomach just a little, it was enough for now. He knew the human body can go 8 to 21 days without food, so he was sure he wasn't going to starve to death just yet.

The red blotches of blood in front of his shirt had dried to brown, the colour was such a heavy contrast against the white. The glass had barely been drained when he heard two heavy footsteps heading towards him.

Ralph had been quiet, mumbling to Fergus one-worded answers, saying he had no time for his games. Even though he was met with silence, Fergus kept asking him tricky questions, trying to converse with the man whose personality seemed to have changed overnight. He was convinced it had something to do with the interrogation day earlier.

As he sat in the claustrophobic room, sleep dust still heavily in his eyes and clothes wrinkled, he tried to ignore the drowsiness that he suspected came with the restrains that banned his magic. His skin crawled, stomach growled uncomfortably and temples still ached, but Fergus was not going to show them that it bothered him. He couldn't, not so soon. It was just his second day. He assumed it must have been very early morning taking into consideration how few people he met on his way to the interrogation room.

The same time Fergus closed his eyes, attempting to get some shut-eye before the frightening day began, two floors up the famous Captain America made his way hurriedly town the corridors, heading towards the underground levels where SHIELD held secret laboratories, holding cells and interrogation rooms. He had just made it back from Europe, Kosovo. It had been a false alarm, some agents had suspected that HYDRA was starting up again, luckily it had just been a starting organisation intending to start making weapons. It had been shut down before it had even started.

“You sure about it, Cap?” the super-soldier didn't even glance over his broad shoulder towards Natasha. The woman was silent on her steps as if she wasn't even there. “Yes, I know that look in his eyes. The kid needs someone.” his tone was determined and eyes locked on the elevator down the hall. They still hadn't changed their clothes and it was barely 6 AM, they had landed the quinjet merely fifteen minutes ago. When Sam had messaged Steve about the situation, telling the kid had been brought in and all Sam's influence on Agents had been ripped as soon as they stepped into the building, Steve knew he needed to come back as soon as possible.

“And you think this someone is you?” Natasha knew Steve had had a soft spot for the kid ever since Axis had killed the blond-haired friend, she knew Steve had kept an eye on the boy as if he was ready to help him as soon as he even stumbled. At some point, Natasha was convinced Rogers was going to adopt the almost eighteen-year-old, she was glad when the boy was taken away. He deserved a new start, but taking into consideration all the mess the kid now was in, Natasha wasn't so sure if the new family was such a good idea. “If there's no else, then why not me?”