13

The lab was still, just like it had been ten hours before Fergus had decided to let his curiosity choose his faith

The lab was still, just like it had been ten hours before Fergus had decided to let his curiosity choose his faith. Or maybe, his faith was sealed the day he was brought to the orphanage. 

Braxton stood by the stairs, his crystal blue eyes filled with the kind of hatred one could see in the eyes of a grieving person. Like a predator, the angrier of the twins stood and stared. Fergus had been curled on the floor of the cell for precisely seven hours. He had been groaning and hissing in pain that seemed to be coming from his heart.  Until he just stopped, sweat glistening under the cold lights and face pale as snow. 

The serum Nick had stolen a long, long time ago had been running through Fergus' system differently then it had been in other Lennon's'. It just wasn't working like it was supposed to. His body seemed to be pushing it away, abandoning it like a bad illness. Which, it technically was.

Nick had placed Braxton in the watch duty, knowing the twin would not miss anything. He had sensed the tension between the two, for unknown reason Braxton had taken disliking towards Fergus.

Fergus however, was trying so hard not to pass out.

Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.

His insides were churning and his head was pounding. It was like a very, very bad sickness. Fergus had never been truly ill, but he had seen other kids fight with illnesses. He had always thought he had just a very good immune system.

He had to get out of that basement, out of this house, hell, he had to get out of this country!

“Any changes, Brax?” He heard Nicks voice through the fog that seemed to dampen his senses. “Not visible ones. Been like this for hours.” he vaguely sensed Nick wheeling himself closer. “Is he going to die?” there was absolutely no worry in Braxton's voice.

That question had been whirling in Fergus' mind for quite some time. What had they done to him? Why was his heart beating so loudly, almost as if it was angry at Fergus.

“I am not sure. It doesn't work like it normally would. But then again, he was never an ill person. Not like you.” something ugly was tickling Fergus' throat, dragging its claws up his neck as he suddenly shot up, grabbed the bars of the cell and vomited what was left in his stomach.

He fell back, mumbling incomprehensible curses under his breath. He felt a prickle on his wrist, he weakly tried to grab the person, tried to push them away, hurt them. His hand was slammed down, making an ugly cracking sound that made Fergus flinch. “Easy Braxton,” Nicholas said, removing the needle with Fergus' blood.

The door of the cell was slammed shut, making Fergus grit his teeth. Why was it all so loud?

The hallucinations he saw that night would keep him awake for nights to come. He saw visions, he saw blood, he smelt dust, he heard screams of dying men and he heard an odd noise that required metal hitting metal. And he saw Ref, just looking at him, begging to be saved.

When he snapped his green orbs open a day later, he was hit with confusion.

He frowned, watching the grey ceiling. The humming of computers made him turn his head slightly, he was met with Ashton —or maybe Braxtons— blue eyes. No, that was definitely Ashton, Brax had a constant glare fixed on his face.

As he pushed himself up, he winced at his aching bones. Everything hurt, he blinked groggily, trying to catch up to reality. “You're up, how you feeling?” that was definitely Ashton.

“Like some psychopaths locked me in their basement, injected me with their sparkling water and left me sick, not to mention I'm pretty sure the man in wheelchair cleaned my puke and took a blood example while I was hallucinating. Did I miss something? I probably did. Pardon my lack of memory, I was mostly out cold.” the teenager spat angrily, trying to ignore his aching head.

“Sorry mate, I--” Ashton sealed his lips shut as the door opened, revealing Nick who was trailed by somber looking Brax. “You're awake. Good, and you're alive.”

“I take it it's also good,” Fergus muttered bitterly, glaring dangerously at the people. “I don't think it caused you any mutations. Your earlier... Powers seemed to just reject the serum. Fascinating.” Fergus' head snapped up, his ink-black hair falling over his eyes. “Pardon? Are you people nuts?!”

Ashton flinched, looking at his feet. Nick seemed to ignore his question as he went on. “It's a shame it didn't work. But I take its because of your earlier powers. So, Fergus, what can you do exactly? We all know it isn't just your little card tricks.”

His throat was dry, he wouldn't however, turn away his glare fixed on the man. He didn't answer, making Nick sigh in annoyance. He grabbed something from the table, due to being on the floor, Fergus didn't really catch on until he saw the glinting of dark metal against the cold lights.

“Hey, wait, hey, hey!” he waved frantically, looking the gun being pointed right at him. Nick took off the safety and before he could say anything else, the bullet came flying towards Fergus.

He raised his hands in front of his face, waiting for the impact, the pain that never came. The sound was sharp in his ears, it hurt and made his head buzz in an uncomfortable way.
He shot his eyes wide open, dropping his raised hands as he saw the same, green hue holding the bullet that was inches from his face, still in the air.

Clapping made him lose his focus, the small object clinked against the rough floor, rolling further away from horrified Fergus. “this is remarkable, can you do it only when you're in tense situations or can you do anytime?”

”you shot me. You just raised your gun and shot me.” Nick nodded thoughtfully. The twins were quiet, standing near the stairs like bodyguards. “I need you to tell me anything you can do. It is very important that you don't miss a detail, Fergus. I'm just here to help you.”

The teen's throat was dry, His stomach was empty and his mind was a mess. He glanced towards the bullet, the gun, and the twins. His green eyes filled with horror landed on Nick. “I doubt that. I'm not going to tell you anything.”

He stumbled back as Nick started wheeling himself closer. Don't be afraid Fergus. Don't be afraid.

He watched the man's grey eyes filled with wonder and curiosity. “Brax, open the cell.” Fergus hadn't expected that. His greens met Braxton's cold blue ones for a brief second. “But, sir–”

“Open the door Braxton. We need to have a talk.”

Fergus wasn't sure did he want to get out and have a talk with Nick or stay in the cell and possibly be as far away from the man in the wheelchair as he could.