23 - Let it Burn so Bright

A few days had past after the competitions and everyone was back in school again. (Name) yawned as she trudged sleepily towards the school. Everyday, she walked along with Makoto and Haru, since they live pretty close to each other. They usually would chat in a playful banter as they walked, but this morning, (Name) was too exhausted, so she left the talking to the two boys.

Yesterday had been rough. Right after the competitions were over, she had band practice with her friends. The competition had nearly made her forget all about the upcoming Samezuka festival, and the fact that she will be singing there, and as the main vocalist.

Her bandmates had agreed to use their older songs, the ones that are released a couple of months ago. The new album hasn't been published yet, and most of the new songs are still kept a secret. However, they agreed to sing one new song (Name) composed last. It was based on the events she experienced here so she wanted to sing it on stage.

"(Name)?" Makoto's voice pulled her out of ther reverie, "Are you okay? You seem so tired."

(Name) nodded, "Just a little sleepy, and tired. But that's all. I'm not sick or anything, so don't worry."

It was true. She had been practicing for a whole day yesterday, starting from the morning until it was late at night. She was actually susprised at how she hadn't lost her voice yet.

"Alright. But if you feel sick later, please go and see the nurse. Okay?"

"Okay, Mom."

"M-mom?" Makoto flushed, and a smile tugged on Haru's lips.

Upon reaching the school, they all stopped at thw gate, where Nagisa and Rei were standing. The two of them seemed to be looking at a something high on the school building. This made (Name) look up to where they were looking, which was when she spotted the banner.

Congratulations Swim Club for reaching Regionals!

Rei turned and saw her, followed by Makoto and Haru close by, "Ah, you guys. Look! They made a real banner this time!"

(Name) smiled, but tilted her head in confusion, "this time?" she questioned Rei.

"The last, they reused the old Judo Club banner, I guess we are really recognized as a club now," Nagisa piped up, the smile so wide on his face.

"Guys, the bell is going to ring pretty soon, lets go to class," Makoto gestured for them all to continue walking, and everyone complied.

Three of them got in class just in time for the bell to ring. They immediately went to their seats and waited for Ama-sensei to come for homeroom time.

~~~~~

On third period, they had math class. This got (Name) sitting at the edge of her seat in anticipation. It wasn't as if she liked the subject, in fact, she still disliked math. The only thing that she was looking forward to was the result of the surprise quiz. She felt like she could do it easily enough back then, so she expected a good result this time. The result worthy of the study session time she had with Sousuke.

It was almost a week since the last time they studied together, although to (Name) it felt longer than that.

(Name)'s (eye colour) eyes stared intently at the teacher as he distributed the result of the quiz. Please let me see at least 75..

At last, her paper landed on top of her desk, face down. With slightly shaking fingers, she took it and flipped the page over. Immediately, she felt very light, as if she could just float away if she wished to. The smile that spread accross her face was also a big giveaway to the fact that this is the best math score she got so far. 90.