41 - That Certainly Took an Unexpected Turn

Makoto felt a heavy, sinking feeling as he watched Haru run off.

They have been friends for as long as he could remember but this is their first fight. Sure, they had squabbles and bickering, but it never got to the point where it turned into a yelling match.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

Makoto had started the conversation because he truly cared about Haru, and because he knew Haru had not decided on what he would do after graduation. Time is running out and he was really worried for his friend as he seemed more and more on edge as the days go by.

The words they exchanged seemed to echo endlessly in his head.

"Its not as easy as you can say it, Makoto!" He started walking away, "you can't find a dream just by looking for one."

Makoto had moved to grab Haru's wrist, "Just listen to me!"

"Let go! I'm fine with the way things are!"

"You're lying! Truth is, you wanted to find a dream too!"

"Even you now? Where and who i swim for, this is all up to me!" Haru roughly jerked his wrist out of Makoto's grasp, "And who do you think you are? You're telling me to find a dream when you yourself don't even have one!"

There was silence that lasted for a few seconds, before Makoto spoke up looking away from Haru and into the distance. How is he supposed to tell him this now? "I.. I do have a dream."

He heard a sharp intake of breath, but he continued still, a sad smile playing on his lips.

"Helping out coach Goro, helping kids find their passion in swimming, I know now what I want to do." Finally, he turned to his friend and looked deeply into his blue depths, "I'm going to a university in Tokyo."

The silence that stretched between them felt thick and heavy, as if nothing could break it, not even the fireworks exploding in the distance.

Makoto could see the look of betrayal on Haru's face, "I mean to tell you sooner, but I couldn't find the words to-"

"Do whatever you want!" Haru had yelled in his face before running off, leaving him standing there alone feeling guilty and heavy with the weight of unspoken words.

He never meant for this to happen, all he wanted to do is help his best friend find a dream to go after, to be able to see where he is heading to in the future. But now he seemed to have made things worse, and this did not help with the fear and dread he felt as he watched Haru run off. Did he just break their friendship?

"I'm sorry.." Makoto said, to no one in particular as tears started to fall from his eyes. He was glad that currently, no one was around to witness that fight.

All he wanted was the best for Haru, but in the end, even he, the closest person Haru has, could not crack that new wall he built around himself. Perhaps not the closest anymore, he thought sadly.

Part of him wondered if its better that he go after Haru or let him have some time and space alone to figure things out. The fact that thing being their first fight made him absolutely clueless on how to handle this situation.

Sighing, he started walking slowly back towards the festival where he knew the others will be meeting. He carefully wiped the evidence of his distress and forced a smile. Even when he has problems, he should not let other people worry about him.

~~~~~

A stunned silence stretched between (Name) and Sousuke as she stood frozen on the steps just after that stumble. Her brain was still trying to comprehend what had happened, and why Sousuke did.. What he did.