44 - Societal Conventions Are An Advantage

"Ashiro." (Name)'s voice was shaky, her eyes wide and unbelieving. How did he find her? What is he doing in Iwatobi? She had picked this town at random how did he find out?

As if reading her mind, he smiled, a sweet smile, but with something sinister lurking in the depths of his eyes. "I've been looking for you, you know?"

(Name) looked around. Sousuke- No. She will not call out to him. He's still-

"You did not reply to my emails, my texts.. Did you not want to see me again?"

"How did you.." She faltered, her voice coming out as squeaky with fear.

"I tracked you down. You were so careless, leaving clues everywhere. Not as you though," he leaned down towards her ear, black curly hair brushing against her cheek as he whispered, "but as your alter ego.."

(Name) froze. He knew? He knew her identity?

"Yes, darling, I've known for quite a while now. I was so upset when you broke up with me."

"You-"

"And of course," he held up a hand, cutting her off, "I have proof. You were pretty careless, you know.."

(Name) felt tears roll down her cheek. He knows.. She clearly underestimated him, and now, at her weakest, she is absolutely vulnerable, like an open book held before a fire.

Ashiro, however, was not done. "Come with me, (Name). We should have a little... Talk."

This ridiculous request seemed to snap her out of her terrified daze and she finally found her voice again. "Like hell I would!" (Name) snapped, taking a step back.

To her surprise, Ashiro merely chuckled, "Now, now, I won't do anything weird. Its just dinner, like the old times..."

"Sorry but no thanks," (Name) snapped, already prepared to run.

"I have precious information about you, (Name)," Ashiro taunted in a singsong voice, his grin was borderline maniacal, and it chilled her down to the bones.

She took a shaky breath. The reason why she kept her other identity and career a secret in the first place is mainly because of him. She did not want him to exploit her. Other minor factors were the fact that people would take advantage of her popularity, but then again, its small compared to the big problem which stood in front of her now.

Her secret can leak out now for all she cared. He knew already so what's the point? She won't be safe anyway. If she back down now it would only be used as blackmail. She had to make him think she didn't care.

"Do what you like with the evidence or whatever," she looked him straight in the eyes, the quivers in her voice slowly dissipating, "The reason I kept it secret was for my safety against you anyway. Now that you know its rather ineffective on me."

She expected Ashiro to scowl and get angry, knowing he will physically lash out. But they are in public, and people are around, watching the two in the rain, and an umbrella on the ground as if its a drama. People will help if he started getting physical. He is trapped by societal coventions.

To her surprise, however, he only smirked, and held up his phone again, this time with an image all too familiar for her.

Sousuke.

"I heard you got a new boyfriend, (Name)" he spat out the word boyfriend like it was venom, with eyes full of malice even though his lips were stretched into a smile.

(Name) shook her head, about to reply but he beat her to it, "too bad that date earlier did not go that well," he sneered at her, loving the pain that flashed momentarily in her eyes. "Did you tell him your little secret? Because that shock on his face was hilarious."