Prologue

-At the Koizumi manori-

Loneliness overcame the red witch as she passed her entrance door and found herself back inside her domain. Here she left her mask, the sweet school girl disappeared and the coldhearted smile appeared on her thin scarlet lips.
"Beautiful Akako-sama, welcome back."
The witch merely scowled at her peasant. He was necessary for her, why should she, a queen, bother with housework or any else matters? He was there to serve her yet his outlooks threated her eyes to burn whenever she flashed a glance at him.
"Out of my eyes you creature. I wish to not get disturbed the whole evening."

The dark floors she passed through reflected her black heart, here she felt at peace. A small chuckle overcame her lips as she brushed her hair.
"Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the best witch after all~?"
Snickering to herself she laid her golden brush down and inspected her appearance a last time before she finally focused her attention onto her ceremonial wardrobe. Slowly and under loud cracking noises, the heavy wooden doors opened and she faced her black ceremonial robe. Taking it on, she passed through her room and further downwards into her secret chamber.
A large kettle in the middle of the room, a fireplace below it and every area decorated with animal skulls and weird looking bottles. Every single step of hers echoed over the stone as she put on her hood.
"Kuroba Kaito, you are indeed something special..."
Slowly slipping his handkerchief into the large kettle, she fixed the eery fluid with her dark eyes.
"And with your handkerchief I will find out what makes you so different. Other than being able to resist my charm..."

Akako gritted her teeth in frustration. It still tortured her that the one she has been after since felt ages never fell for her beauty. But today, this wasn't the topic.
Akako turned her head to the bookshelf, letting her hand glide from cover to cover only to find the fitting title she searched for. She pulled out the blue book and skipped a few pages to the ritual where her red fingernail slowly pierced into the paper.
"That's the right one..."
The witch placed the book in front of herself and began to chant.
"-and with the last drop of dragon blood, lucifer, grant me the power of wisdom to see through Kuroba Kaito's soul."

But what she saw, seemed to be impossible for her. The boiling mix inside the kettle turned pitch black, the ritual had failed.
"What?!"
Akako felt anger rising up, how could she, the heritage of the red magic, fail at a ritual?! Nono, this wasn't possible. Something else must have happened. But what? The witch slowly settled down again and concentrated onto the fluid, trying to find out what could cause such a thing. As she sat in her silence, listening to the boiling water, she eliminated various reasons and immediately found new ones. Perhaps this would need to wait until the second day.

The next morning in school, Akako observed Kaito closely. His jokes, his grin, his pranks on Aoko... The poor girl. Would he be trying to get a view onto her panties she'd lay a curse onto him. After kicking into his face.
Kaito surely was a weird person. It wasn't just his pokerface, he always smiled and never let anything get to him. He seemed constantly happy, exited and couldn't sit calm for one minute. It was almost as if something missed.
Akako could ask Hakuba for any deductions, but the Heisei Holmes surely wasn't a good person to find out about mystical things, even tho he was after an illusionist since years. To mention illusionist... Kaito KID seemed a little different than Kuroba Kaito's usual appearance. He was just as cheeky, exited and childish... but somehow brave and more reasonable. It was as if he tried to imitate a serious behavior.

This was the moment Akako finally confirmed her theory. Kuroba Kaito didn't know the serious side humanity has. He lived inside his own world, but... differently. Kaito possessed a half soul. And she could feel this very clearly.
Katio didn't have a serious side... a calm side. He could never be collected or logical. His fierce emotions lead him through his life. But every human owns a set time of death... This is destiny.
Akako tilted her head to the left, blinking through her long eye lashes.
"A half soul... means half the lifespan... Oh Kuroba-kun, you need to find your counterpart and change your destiny..."