Part 11

With Hakuba gone Kaito somehow felt at loss of something important inside his bright and emotional life. Nobody greeted him anymore once he entered his classroom, nobody suddenly popped out of nowhere to ask all kinds of awkward questions, no dark eyes piercing into the back of his head... He hated to admite it but he began to feel lonely. Who knew Hakuba made out such an important part of his day? Worse enough that his soulmate and counterpart, Kudo Shinichi, had disappeared but Hakuba was a step too forward.

And Hattori Heiji was in danger as well. Kaito was torn between the need to keep a certain distance to the detective and the desire to even move in with him to prevent another of his critics just disappearing like they never existed.
Aoko was the only one to notice the few small holes inside his pokerface and left him alone about it which he appreciated. No more 'BAKAITOOO's piercing his ears in the early morning really relaxed him a little. Akako on the other hand slowly but surely began to gain his trust. Not as a witch, but as a person.

He often visited her, planned with her and let her ask her cristal ball about recent events. But nothing they did really helped and time was running fast. Desperation accompanied Kaito through his daily routine and meetings with the detective of the west as Kudo Shinichi, until three days later a text message of him changed everything.
'Did you send a note to meet me at the Osakan shrine?'
Shock slowly crept up inside Kaito's heart as he read these words and immediately texted back.
'Don't go! That wasn't me! Wait for me at your house, I'll come over with the next train.'
Not bothering to pack anything Kaito stormed off, catching the next train to Osaka. He was horried to loose now the detective he had grown quite close with the last days too.

As soon as he rang the doorbell and the house door finally opened, he stumbled inside and was greeted by a view which shocked him. Hattori unconcious on the ground and a few men in black around him, carrying pistoles with good noise absorbers screwed onto them.
"Oh Kudo, you fell for our trap. How bad."
These were the last words Kaito heard before a sharp pain at the back of his head sent him into a sleepless slumber.

At the same time inside the prison, Kudo suddenly yelped up as a sharp pain rushed into the back of his head. His breath fastening he leaned back against the cold beton to cool his head, yet relief was nowhere in sight. Hakuba shot a worried glance onto him and frowned, sitting up as well.
"Oi! Are you okay?! What is wrong?!"
"U-ugh... h-hurts..."
With the pain numbing his mind the detective of the east was greeted by a welcomed dizzyness, forcing himself to relax in order to get rid of all the stress.

The sound of something getting dragged across the beton reawoke both the detectives' senses. But what they saw, burned horror into their faces. Hattori Heiji carelessly pulled along and thrown into another cage to Kudo's left side while someone who looked exactly like himself pushed on top of Kudo himself. The detective glared daggers at them while nudging his copycat, trying to wake him up.
"Oi...! Wake up...!"
He paled even further as he saw blood on the back of KID's head and began to chew on his lip, the thief probably was their only way out of this nightmare. His guardian smirked at them, towering oh so arrogantly over the three detectives and the thief.
"I pretty much don't care who of you is the real Kudo since you are both going to die."
With these words he left, probably to eat something. It was only their luck that KID began to stirr and slowly opened his eyes, before his hand shot towards the back of his head. Out of a habit, he still mimicked Shinichi's voice.
"Goddammit these bastards...! I'll kick a whole field of soccer balls into their dimwitted faces...!"

Now completely confused, Hakuba stared at the absolutely identical Kudo's. But the fact that one managed to open his handcuffs without even looking at them let his mind put the puzzle pieces together and finally he came to his conclusion.
"K-Kuroba Kaito...! Come to your senses and get us out of here!"
"...Kuroba Kaito?"
His name rolled with ease off of Shinichi's tongue as he stared at the dressed up KID. That was KID, wasn't he? Finally the dizzy male noticed in which position he was and let out a sharp gasp, immediately raising himself from Kudo's lap.
"M-my apologies, I- Kudo? Kudo Shinichi? Oh god I found you, I am relieved to see you alive."
Hakuba frowned at this and tilted his head, why did that pest of a thief behave to formal? He usually was all cheeky and cheerful, he never saw him so calm and collected. Not even at his heists.

Shinichi on the other hand looked like bursting into cheers to see someone who really could save them, confusing the poor detective only more. Something definitely was wrong here, but before he could ask Kaito already did what would be most logical: Undoing Shinichi's handcuffs and finally opening the cage, straight after that taking his turn at Hakuba and the unconcious Heiji.
Both Kudo and Hakuba got up, rubbing synchronized their wrists which showed slight red marks.
"I have a plan, we will beat them with their own weapons. We will all dress up as members of the Black Organization and inform your young scientist, Haibara Ai. She will send help."
How he did know about Haibara wasn't much of a riddle for Shinichi as he always stuck around them during his days as Conan. But that actually did sound like a good plan.