Part 2

Kudo Shinichi wasn't very surprised to find a small letter inside his mail, signed by the one and only Kaito KID. A personal invitation was something the thief enjoyed to hand his favorite critics, how he adored to call them.
"Tsk, that thief and his nicknames..."
The detective only was able to roll his eyes as his eyes flew over the headline. 'To my favorite critic'. What could make him his favorite? Because he was sharpminded? Because he wasn't Hakuba? Ah, this wasn't important now.

Shinichi stepped back inside the Kudo manori, soon finding himself once more inside his favorite place of the gigantic house. The library.
He slipped down on the comfortable chair he saved up for with the money he earned from his cases, tho, he never did it for the money. It was the challenge which lured him, the blood and murders fascinated him like nothing else could and the motives left a deep impression on him. Shinichi always had an unhealthy interest for Sherlock Holmes, mainly because everybody he knew used to tell him he would be the New Age Sherlock Holmes. This man was able to analyze every oh so little clue spread on the place of act, to figure out any kind of motive.

This wasn't possible for the young Kudo. He did manage to figure out the motives, indeed, but he never was able to understand these criminals he uncovered from the shaddows. All around him he heard officers mumbling, understanding their actions, sympathizing with the feelings leading to such agressive and reckless behavior. Perhaps that was the reason he kept bothering himself with these deadly cases. He couldn't understand it, as much as he tried. It drove him insane to not think like all the others around him, he wanted to laugh at jokes and cry at these romantic movies Ran always dragged him into.
He couldn't.
Shinichi simply couldn't feel.
He fought his life using logic and deductions, letting his small circle of friends lable him as a freak. They never pushed him away, tho, he was a lonely male and making him burry his nose into his wonderful case files let him imagine a different reality.

Back to the letter he held in his hands, Shinichi searched with his hand for the letter opener his father used to keep inside his desk. A few small movements and the briefcase was open, revealing the infamous writing of the phantom thief.
Here wasn't any particular target noted to the detective, he already managed to deduce this on the first gaze. But what was KID after? It definitely was a heist note, addressed to the detective of the east, yet...
A heist without a target?
Shinichi sighed and pinched gently the bridge of his nose, trying to concentrate. He hadn't been able to gain much sleep the last days and his overdose of coffee came through as well, not that he would ever admit it.
"All that is written down here is merely a date, a time... and the place. But what is the target? 'Once the clock strikes midnight on a full moon, I, Kaito KID, shall find out what is mine and take it with me. My favorite critics, all of you, I invite you to join my game at the Tokyo News Tower.' Was that all? How disappointing."

Actually a little taken aback by KID's mere invite he laid the letter down onto the mahagoni table and leaned back into his chair. He certainly would attend his heist, his curiosity got the best out of him.
After all, a detective is made to uncover hidden truth and support humanity. Instead taking one of his files, Shinichi bent over again and began to focuse once more. With KID's letter done, a lot of more work awaited him and he still needed to mentally prepare himself for Sonoke the next morning. Sometimes he really couldn't bear her swooning over his rival and this heist note would turn her into a flattery mess.

Even tho Kuroba held it for impossible, even Hakuba received an invitation of him. He needed to be sure, after all. But as the Heisei Holmes smashed the following day the note onto his table, he regretted it all.
"What is the meaning of this Kuroba?! What is your target? No hint, nothing is there. Better tell me right away what you want and I'll make sure to hand you in personally."
Rolling his eyes in pure annoyance, Kaito sighed in addition and finally showed an icy smile.
"I have no idea what you are talking about."
"Oh Kuroba don't play dumb on me."
"I am not KID, how often do you plan to ask me that per day?"
Not wanting to argue any further, he let a few doves appear with a small snap of his fingers and Hakuba felt something wet slowly covering his head. His eyes growing in horrify he dipped his finger against his hair, nearly facepalming as he recognized it.
"Hair dye... and another day goes to waste."