Part 10

Shinichi wasn't in such a bad condition after all, he was thoroughly fed through by his kidnappers and managed to eavesdrop into a lot of conversations. But the last one he heard really sparked his curiosity and his gears began to turn.

"Oi! Oi you wouldn't believe who I just saw!"
The man in black raised one eyebrow, his head slightly darting over to his breathless companion. He guarded Shinichi day and night, never letting anything but food and water get into his near. Nevertheless, the male had his attention now.
"I-I just saw Kudo Shinichi."
Surprise spawled across Shinichi's face and his gears started to rotate. The copycat wasn't one of them, visible at the shock of this man. Perhaps a special agent of the police? FBI? No, he couldn't imagine that. They were good, but not good enough to think of such methods.
"Kudo Shinichi? Are you sure you didn't mistake him?"
"No! I am absolutely sure it was him. I spotted him inside a cafe, chatting with that Osakan detective Hattori. I swear it was him."

The next thing Shinichi saw was a harsh punch directed at the confused male. His guardian threatingly raised himself from his seat, glaring at the collapsed and whincing man down below.
"Kudo Shinichi is here. In our prison. Unable to act. Unable to escape."
He merely wrinkled his nose as the man announced with his cough the following vomiting, continuing as if he wouldn't see the gruesome scene in front of him.
"But if you're already at it... Hakuba is the next one in line. With all detectives down one by one, nobody will stop us~ I can't await to stuff them all into cages and let them kill each other for food."
This definitely wasn't the way how the Black Organization used to act beforehand. Normally they would have killed the detectives right away. But what Shinichi heard horrified him. Would they really starve them to the point of insanity? To form detectives into mindless killing machines, like animals murdering themselves for a small treat of their masters? Pure fear sprawled across Shinichi's face and that was the point where it suddenly clicked inside his mind.

He knew who the copycat was, who else could be good enough to deceive the Black Organization? KID either fooled Hattori or even pulled the detective into the boat. Nevertheless, he tried to lure his kidnappers out. He knew something happened to him. But how?
Shinichi's face twisted as he imagined KID searching through his house to stalk him again. Especially after this kiss. Oh god, he still blushed at this memory even tho there were worse things he had to worry about now. Still he silently begged for the remaining detectives to notice the upcoming danger...

It all happened so fast Kaito couldn't progress what he saw. Police sprawled all around Hakuba's domain, the student stopped in his tracks and headed, together with his groceries he freshly bought, over towards the house. The first person he saw was Nakamori-keibu, staring emptily Saguru's father.
"It seems Kaitou KID kidnapped your son. I'm truly sorry. But don't worry, Kaitou KID never hurted anybody and I will do my very best to find him!"
The president twisted his face into an expression which forced a large shiver down Kaito's spine. As innocent as ever, he approached Nakamori Ginzo, clearing quietly his throat.
"Nakamori-san? I was on my way home and saw all the police cars parked here... Did anything happen to Hakuba-kun?"
The male spun around, yet sadness flashed over his face as he recognized his fellow neighbor. Shortly introducing him to the president as 'one of Hakuba's friends', he gently rested one hand on Kaito's shoulder.
"Kaito-kun... Hakuba disappeared and we found a note of KID to meet up with him somewhere specific. It seems like he got kidnapped... But don't worry, I will bring this thief down and Hakuba back!"

These words left a deep impression on Kaito. Excusing himself from the crime scene, he pulled out a spare phone he used to communicate with Heiji and dialed the fellow detective's number.
"Moshi-moshi? What do ya want KID?"
"Hakuba disappeared. Nakamori found a KID note inside his trash. Someone is trying to blame me for something I never did! I wouldn't wonder if the Black Organization has their fingers in this, they are after me since I stole my first jewel."
A long pause made it clear Heiji's gears were rotating.
"If we assume both got kidnapped by the same person, whaddaya say about the motive? If two detectives went missing, then..."
Kaito still had no idea how to proceed since logic wasn't his strengh and so Heiji silently added a small "...either me or Mouri Kogoro are the next one..."

As Hakuba came to his senses, he saw no other than Kudo Shinichi inside a cell next to him. His head was pounding and all he remembered was a white cloak until everything turned black. Sitting groggily up, the detective let out a sigh and flashed a glance at his surroundings before finally addressing the monotonous boy close to him.
"Hey...! You over there...! Are you Kudo Shinichi?"
"No."
That was all he received as an answer, yet the not-Kudo stared at him in a manner which let him realize he had a plan and needed to answer this. If it wouldn't have been such a tricky situation, he would have loved to chat with the famous Kudo but right now he rather wanted to figure out in which kind of trouble he was this time.