0. skin

Skin.

We're covered in it. Made of it.

Just skin and bone and heartbeat.

Skin acts as the protective barrier between our internal body systems and the outside world. It's the first line of defence when it comes to the important stuff like our heart and our lungs and our brain.

But it's also the first to betray us.

In the skin there is a huge network of nerve endings and touch receptors known as the somatosensory system. This system is responsible for all the sensations we feel- cold, hot, smooth, rough, pressure, itch, pain, vibrations and more.

Without our sense of touch, without our somatosensory system, we wouldn't feel anything. We wouldn't feel our feet hitting the ground when we walked. We wouldn't feel the cut of a knife against our back. We wouldn't feel the warmth of the sun on our skin.

We wouldn't feel anything.

But we do. The body is made up of over 100 billion nerve cells and everything that comes into contact with our skin is felt.

The brush of lips against lips. Hard then soft then hard again, then gone.

An embrace, arms circling the waist, the small of the back, pressing closer and closer and closer.

A sigh against skin, as a breath is let out that was being held back.

Shaking hands as they brush over the neck and the shoulders and down the back.

Our skin is supposed to protect us, protect our hearts. But it's the skin that allows us to feel things that break our hearts.

Because my heart is breaking. It's breaking. As I lie on the ground just outside the walls of the sky people's camp, I'm probably dying but instead of thinking about that I'm thinking about how Bellamy Blake is probably dying and how much that hurts. And it hurts because of my skin.

Because I remember what it felt like when he linked our fingers together after Charlotte jumped off the cliff. I remember what it felt like when he wiped the blood from the side of my lip after thing 1 and thing 2 kicked the shit out of me. I remember what it felt like when he held my wrist, leading me through the woods to find Octavia. I remember what it felt like when he sat next to me, tipsy and sweet, his arm brushing mine, my hand in his on Unity Day. I remember what it felt like to be held by him, to just be in his arms forgetting, if only for a moment that we're enemies. And I remember his lips on mine in the seconds before the world as we know it fell apart.

I remember. My skin remembers. I don't think It's possible to forget.

I'm sure of it, as I lie there probably dying, that the memories, the feelings have been burnt so deeply into my skin that it will be the last and only thing I can ever think of before I probably die.

I don't. Die.

I live.

Bellamy Blake lives too.

And so it goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI

So you may be wondering; what the fuck is going on.
So I originally was going to separate the seasons in separate books but I'm a flighty bitch and I've decided it would be more cohesive to have it all in one book but just separated into parts.

So this is season 2 and what was originally a book called "Fated". Bare with me while I move the few chapters I've already posted over to this book.

Don't forget to vote and comment because it means the world!!!

*loves*

-J xx