Sisters 3

She just stands there, arms dangling on either side, not really sure what to do with them.

She really wants to hug him back, tight, so much. She missed him more than she'd like to admit. "What would he think then? You're just friends dapat di ba? Wag marupok. Wag clingy." She thinks.

"Eh ano na lang? Tatayo ka na lang na parang tuod dito? He'll think something's wrong. He'll think ayaw mo, naiilang ka. Iiwas siya." She argues in her head.

She decides to hug him back, lightly, and gently pat his back. "Ayan. Ganyan lang. Friendly hug."

She expects him to let go then but he doesn't, instead, he lets out a soft sigh and pulls her closer, nuzzling her neck and deeply inhaling her scent.

"Susmadre! Self, parang awa. Stay strong. Wag kang marupok," she inwardly gasps. She closes her eyes as if in prayer. "Lead let me not into temptation and deliver me from harot. Lord, help!" She thinks.

She looks at Riza over her Kuya's shoulder and found her quietly but very giddily giggling. She moves her eyebrows and her lips, asking what to do. Riza puckers her lips and makes kissing movements in the air, grinning and wiggling her eyebrows. Maine's eyes grow wide and mouths, "No!"

Riza now has her hand over her mouth, hiding a quiet squeal but Maine sees it. "Help!" She mouths. "Why? Gusto mo yan." Riza mouths back and grins. "Please..." Maine pouts.

Fortunately, the younger Faulkerson finally takes pity on her struggle. "Ehem..." She clears her throat to remind her brother, who seem to have been lost to the world drowning in Maine's embrace, that she's still there. "Excuse me, Kuya." RJ very reluctantly, lets go of Maine and looks at his sister. "Ako kasi ang pinunta ni Ate Meng dito. Hindi ikaw. Pa-hug din ako pwede? Na-miss ko din siya. Friends din kasi kami." She says the last sentence is a tone laced with mirthful sarcasm and a smirk.

This makes RJ blush and he steps back, scratching the back of his head. "Sorry." He murmurs, looking at Maine  sheepishly. She smiles at him and nods, "Okay lang."

"Sige. Akyat muna ako." He excuses himself and leaves the two young women.

Maine then rushes to hug Riza and whispers, "Thank you." RJ's younger sister hugs her back. "You're welcome, Ate. Pero may bayad yun. Flat white." She giggles. "Sige." Maine chuckles.

They then proceed inside the house, carrying Maine's bags of gifts for the family and happily chatting with each other.

***

"Aalis na ba talaga kayo?" Lola Linda asks, her brows slightly scrunched up as she tightens her grip on Maine's hand that she's been keeping between her palms while they talk about anything that comes to their minds and catch up on things for the past couple of hours.

She, Lolo Danny, Ate April, Riza and Maine ate merienda in the dining room and chatted non-stop as Riza predicted. RJ stayed up in his room the entire time. They all just assumed he was tired from his trip and fell asleep.

"May date kasi kami ni Ate Meng, La. Sinolo niyo na nga po eh. Holding hands pa." Riza chuckles. She knows how fond their Lola Linda is of her Ate Maine. They all are. Everyone in their family loves her dearly. It was easy to fall for her sweet and caring nature but what made them all fall in love with her is how strong she is during difficult times in their lives, giving RJ that extra ounce of courage, teaching him patience and helping him understand things in wider perspectives. She is family to them. Sometimes, they wish she and RJ met earlier and they always pray to always have her in their lives forever.

"Dito na lang kayo. Pagluluto kita ng paborito mong Sinigang na Bangus." Lola Linda appeals to Maine in a gentle voice. This melts the younger woman's heart and she almost says yes if not for Riza's protest.

"Lola, next time na po kayo. Kami muna ni Ate. Girl bonding ganoon." She says.

"Teka. Bakit di ako kasama sa girl bonding na yan?" Ate April asks.

"Hala isa pa siya. Ang dami niyo nang nakikisali. Una si Kuya tapos si Lola tapos ikaw, kung nandito lang si Angel..."

"Ate Meng!" The young girl's voice rings excitedly before Maine almost falls over from her seat as the impact of Angel colliding on her back hits her after running to her and hugging her tight. "Ate, miss na miss kita."

"Aww..." Maine twists and stretches out her free arm to welcome the young girl in a warm embrace. "I miss you too, baby girl. Pa-kiss naman." She smiles gently as Angel kisses her on the cheek.

"Ate, play tayo mamaya ha tsaka help mo ako sa homework ko?" She smiles brightly up at Maine.

"Sige ba." Maine agrees then suddenly remembering her date with Riza, she looks at her with a guilty expression and smiles awkwardly.

Riza sighs. "Sige na, Ate. Pagtulungan natin para mabilis." She says. Like her Ate Maine, she finds it very hard to say no to their sweet Angel.

DB then enters the room with Angel's school bag. "Meng, anak. Andito ka pala." He walks over to the group and kisses Riza and April on the cheek then hugs Papa Danny and Lola Linda. Maine stands to hug him as he plants a doting kiss on the top of her head. "Nagkita kayo ni RJ?" He asks casually as he takes a sit beside Riza.

"Uhm..." Maine blushes at DB's question.

"Dad, ako ang pinunta ni Ate Meng dito. Ako. May lakad po kasi dapat kami kaso na-hostage na siya ni Lola at dahil andito na si Angel, wala na talaga kaming chance makaalis." Riza sighs. "Sabi ko sa'yo, Ate, magkita na lang tayo sa Biñan. Next time ka na lang pumunta dito kasi di talaga tayo makakaalis eh."

"Galing mong manghula." Maine chuckles. "Let's do dinner na lang, Riz." She suggests. "Tapos coffee. Hahatid na lang ulit kita dito. If..." She looks at DB. "Okay lang po?"

"Oo naman. Walang kaso." He smiles.

Maine then turns to Lola Linda. "Sorry po, Lola. Nakapag-promise na po kasi ako kay Riza eh. Next time na lang po ako magdi-dinner dito sa inyo. Tutulungan po namin kayo ni Ate April magluto gaya nang dati. Tatawagan ko po kayo agad kung kailan ulit pwede." She smiles. "Promise po yan."

"Sige. Pero dalasan mo ang pagdalawa dito, apo, ha? Mas sumisigla ang bahay pag nandito ka. Pati itong Lolo niyo kung pwede lang sasayaw yan." She says and Maine giggles. "Sabi ko naman kasi kay RJ, pakasal na kayo para dito ka na umuwi. Gusto ko nang magka-apo sa tuhod." Maine's giggle catches in her throat, making her cough uncontrollably.

"Hala ka, Lola." Riza laughs as their Lola holds a glass of water up for Maine to drink.

For the rest of the afternoon, the entire Faulkerson household fuzz over their guest as she very happily spends time with them. Though, RJ doesn't join them to avoid making her feel uncomfortable, he is fully aware of the extra dose of sunshine that their home has with Maine's presence from the joyful chatter and laughter he hears coming from downstairs.

***

Unbeta'ed and not proofread. Thank you for reading.
Isa pa ba? 😅