Sisters-5

Once what he asks of her sinks in, she gives him a gentle smile and nods. "Okay."

He releases a sigh of relief that he's been holding in his chest while he waited for her response and his face breaks into a grin. "Thank you. Uhm... Sa garden tayo?" He asks, holding out his hand.

"Sige," she says, placing her hand on his palm so he can help her down.

Instinctively, he walks slightly behind her and his hand settles at the small of her back as they go to the garden. It's second nature to him to take care of her and make sure she's safe while she trusts him completely, knowing for a fact that as long as they're together, he won't let anything bad happen to her.

When they get there, he helps her sit on the garden swings and stands in front of her. He stares quietly at her face as she gazes back at him, her eyes sparkling like the stars in the night sky and the moonlight casting an ethereal light on her beauty.

"Uhm... RJ?"

"Hmmm?" He hums in response, still enchanted by her.

"Pwedeng umupo ka? Masakit sa leeg kung mag-uusap tayo nang ganito." She giggles.

He chuckles and shakes his head, blushing softly. "Sorry. Uhm... Okay lang ba tumabi sa'yo?" He smiles.

"Siyempre oo. Ano bang nangyayari sa'yo? You're acting so weird." She laughs. "Kanina you hugged me na parang twenty years tayong hindi nagkita eh a few days lang naman and we always talk to each other sa Bulaga and sa FaceTime. Ngayon naman, you're acting like a little puppy left outside the door at ayaw papasukin ng amo." She rolls her eyes at him and chuckles.

"So yes?" He grins.

"Oo nga! Kulit! Umupo ka na or uuwi na ako."

"Eto na. Eto na." He quickly sits on the space beside her.

For a few seconds they just sit looking at each other, smiling. If it were up to him, he could just stay that way with her, staring at her all night, tracing every precious line and gentle curve of her face with his eyes and etching them safely in his memory for every moment that they spend apart to keep him sane until their next reunion.

She's gotten use to his piercing gaze but the way he's looking at her now, stirs something new in her, like a tinderbox rekindling a spark of a lifeless bonfire after long cold nights.

She clears her throat and looks away then turns back to him. "What did you want to talk about?"

"You. I mean us. Our family, I mean my family." He takes a deep breath and smiles at her. "I want to thank you, Maine. For today. Napasaya mo talaga ak... sila for spending time here with them. Ak... si Lola lalo kasi ikaw talaga ang una niyang hinanap sa akin pag-uwi niya kaya sobrang saya niya nung nakapunta kayo nina Nanay sa Birthday dinner ko. Salamat nga pala dun ah."

"I think you thanked me for that ng mga 24 million times. So for the 24 millionth time, you're welcome, RJ." She giggles. "Tsaka you don't need to thank me for this. Masaya din naman ako. I really missed them lalo na... ik... si Lola." She quickly looks away and blushes.

"I'm really happy na walang nagbago sa inyo, Maine."

She looks at him again. "Wala namang dapat magbago di ba? Pamilya pa rin ang turing ko sa kanila at nagpapasalamat ako na ganoon din sila sa akin. Ikaw din naman, you're always welcome sa Bulacan at hindi nagbago ang pagtanggap ng pamily at mga magulang ko sa'yo." She smiles at him sincerely. "Parang tayo. We're still friends. Walang nagbago."

"Only we stopped trying to make US work." He sighs, his eyes suddenly sad.

"Yeah..." She sighs and silence follows.