Make Her Happy

Originally posted on Twitter for ADN Book Club.

Song prompt: Make Someone Happy by Jamie Cullum

Happy Hearts Day and Happy 187th ALDUB Weeksary, everyone! ❤️

***

She likes her eggs sunny-side up with bacon and toast. Make her some every morning.

She likes her coffee sweet and creamy. Have a cup ready for her when she wakes up.

Sometimes she will be in a foul mood. Do not cross her. You will regret it. Just let the mood pass until she's out of her dragon lady mode.

She likes some space and time to herself from time to time. Don't think it's because she doesn't want to be with you. It's just something that she needs to breathe and find peace. She's clingier after. You'll love it.

She loves to laugh. Watch a funny video with her. Sit for hours on the couch to a F.R.I.E.N.D.S. marathon. Send her a silly meme or say a corny joke. Do this at least twice a day. It will make your day too.

Sing her to sleep. Her favorites are Yellow by Coldplay and Mirror by Justine Timberlake. She may cry. Don't worry. She's just overwhelmed by your love.

Kiss her goodnight and good morning. Do not miss these.

Give her long tight hugs. She loves those.

She gets really terrible monthly period pains. The dinosaur is your enemy. Its purpose is to give her pain. Press it. Pat it down. Sit on it. Then feed her warm soup and massage her back until she falls asleep.

She doesn't eat food that's been left out cold. Don't be lazy. Heat that plate up!

She loves surprises. Bring her some flowers randomly. Leave a sweet note on the fridge. Have her favorite food delivered to her work. Take her on a roadtrip out of the blue and let her drive. (She'll trick you into doing it anyway.) Call her unexpectedly.

She has the most magical smile in the world. It's phenomenal. Make it your life's purpose to give her a reason to smile everyday— the one that reaches her eyes and make them sparkle. I guarantee you it will be worth it.

She wants you to be happy more than anything. That's how she loves. Make her happy because that is the only way you will ever be truly happy.

***

"What's this for, RJ?" She asks, wiping her tears after reading the letter.

"For you. So you will always be happy kahit wala ako. Gusto ko kahit malayo ako at hindi tayo magkasama, naaalagaan ka at lagi kang masaya." He gently touches her cheek and wipes her tears with his hand. "Please don't cry, Menggay ko."

She flings herself into his arms and burrows her face in his chest, sobbing. He wraps her in a tight embrace and sighs. "Sabi wag nang iiyak eh. Humagulgol pa."

"Kasalanan mo yan, Pa." Their 18-year old son Bash chuckles. "One week ka lang naman kasi sa New York for a business trip, kung makapagbilin ka sa amin ang OA."

"Gusto ko lang naman na happy lagi ang Mama mo, anak."

"I am happy. Happiest when I'm with you." She tells him, looking into his eyes.

"Haaay... Naku. Ayan na naman yung pout at mga tingin na nakakarupok. Sumama ka na lang nga sa akin."

"Great! I can get packed in an hour." She grins, sniffling and wiping her tears.

"Yes!" Bash pumps his fists in the air. "Freedom! Athena will be thrilled." He cheers, referring to his 15-year old sister.

"Oh yeah. I called Tatay Teddy. They'll be happy to stay with you kids while we're away."

"Sabi ko nga." Bash sulks.