Is This Real? -2

After much procrastination, she finally managed to stumble down the stairs, clothes on and makeup plastered to face, but still very groggy. Looking and her watch, she bolted.

"I'm GONNA MISS THE BUS!!" She screamed as she shoved a waffle in her mouth, stomped her shoes on, and grabbed her backpack so she could run like she never had before, except yesterday morning. And pretty much every other morning. 

Sprinting as hard as she could, she arrived at the bus at the very last second. Just as the bus was about to pull out, the bus driver saw her and opened the squealing doors unwillingly. She struggled up the stairs and earned a stern look from the bus driver. Finally, she plopped down right next to Ella. 

"Geez, is all your fat finally getting to you?" She sneered. Sandra just looked the other way and sat there. To get her mind off her life, she started imagining Devin's background. Maybe a transfer student? Maybe he lived in Colombia and that's why he has such a nice tan complexion? Finally, the bus jolts to a stop and she gets off to prepare for another day. 

To add to the 'terrible day list' Sandra sat in gum and shrieked like a dying cat in band, was called up in front of the class in Spanish to explain something she didn't know, and got called out in front of the entire class for failing a test by her nosey, obnoxious math teacher. By the time third hour was over, Sandra was so low in her chair that you could only see the brim of her head and her cheeks looked like a ripe tomato. Finally, the bell rang not a moment to soon, and Sandra rushed out, trying to escape the embarassment.

Arriving at lunch, she sat next to her "friends", they talk about new rumors and gossip, occasionally saying a snide remark about her, but neither she or her best friend do anything about it. Instead, she just sits there and thinks about Devin, her only lifeline in her insane life. when the bell finally rings, she walks off to go and humiliate herself in a few more classes. Well, not ELA. That's her favorite class and doesn't even pay attention to get an A. That's the only thing that goes her way though.

After another long and exhausting day just like all the others, she trudges onto the bus and is surprised to see all of her friends there. Even Emily, who switched friend groups last year!

"Hey, guys!" She calls out, genuinely happy to see them. Maybe this day will turn out better than she thought! But the look they give her when they see her tells her otherwise. Their mouths went from smiling it a grim line in a matter of seconds, and almost all their faces paled a few shades.

"Uh. . . hi." Ella says, recovered from Sandra's appearance, stupidly realizing she forgot all about her. 

"What are you all doing here?" 

"Ellas having a party," Emily pipes up, "but didn't you know that?" 

Ella quickly yanks Emily's arm towards her and loudly whispers with a furious look on her face. "I didn't invite her remember!? This brat will just suck all the life out of the party!"

That's when Sandra realized just how little they cared about her. She barreled off the bus, and tears streaming down her face the whole way, ran home.

Finally arriving, she slammed the front door and went straight to the bathroom. Locking the door, she plopped down in the corner and sobbed her heart out. And sobbed. And sobbed. And sobbed. After what felt like hours of blubbering, her tears subsided and she was able to see clearly again. 

She glanced up, her eyes landing right on the shock white medicine cabinet. Every other day it just sat in the background, but today it blared out at her. She wondered why she didn't notice it before. She stood up, stumbling with her quavering legs. All she wanted for was for all this pain to just go away. Without even a minute of consideration, her mind was set. She slowly crept towards the cabinet, stumbling most the way. As she went around the toilet and made her way past the sink, she got more and more anxious but relieved. With shaking hands, she gradually reached her hand to the handle. She opened the cabinet, and pulling out the biggest bottle she could find, squeezed the cap to twist it off. Suddenly, a hand clamped against her mouth and snatched her wrists back. Dropping the bottle in fright, she screamed, startled by this action, but it was muffled by that hand. Slowly, so slowly, she felt something graze her ear and started to feel a warm breath near her neck.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. You still have me, remember?" A voice quivered into her ear, overwhelmed with emotion.

Devin. She thought, before her eyes rolled to the back of her head, everything faded into the darkest black, and she could think no more.