Another Encounter- 21

Sandra woke up to the musty smell of the room, suffocating her. Blinking her eyes in the harsh darkness, all she could see was a muscular outline of a body slowly fluttering up and down. Devin. She sat straight up, her head hitting the sloped ceiling.

"Ow. . ." Muttering to herself, she pulled of the sticky, stained blankets, getting another rush of air washing over her. Climbing out of the bed, she felt around, holding her arms out like a shield. She made her way down the wall, finally reaching the rough texture of the curtains. She ripped them open, blinded with light. Seeing how it was no longer dark, she rushed over to her mom to jiggle her awake.

"Mom. . . Get up." Muttering under her breath, she finally got her mother up. Her mom rubbed her dreary eyes lazily, looking at her phone just to see it was already seven o'clock. Just like Sandra she jumped up, lucky to be under the part of the ceiling that wasn't hazariously sloping down. She managed to pull herself out of bed, trying to get ready for the day.

Sandra went straight over to Devin, checking to see if he was alright. "Mom, I think Devin should probably stay here for the day. He still doesn't look well enough to go to school."

Still not fully awake, her mother slumped back onto the bed, not having the willpower to get up. "Of course. I'll stay here with him and you can go to school."

Sandra internally did a face palm, her mother not realizing that she missed a very important detail. "Mom, you need to drive me to school. There is no bus here, remember?"

"Can't you just stay here with us? I really don't want to get up. Last night was long."

"Come on mom, I can't miss school just because you're tired." And with that, she grabbed a hold of her mother's arm, pulling her up onto her feet.

*****

After she finally managed to get her mother up and moving, it seemed as though she waited hours for her mother to perfect her makeup, tie up her hair while making sure here were no lumps, brush her teeth for three minutes longer than a normal human being, get a bag of doritos from the vending machine for breakfast and munch on them as slowly as she could manage, and finally, finally get dressed.

"Mom, why are you doing any of this? Aren't you coming straight back here after?" There was no reply from her, but a tint of rose colored pink that flushed up to her cheeks.

They finally got in the car, with Sandra now going to miss two classes instead of one. They hobbled down the road, sitting in silence. There was still a little crusty blood on the seat even with Sandra's attempt of shielding the fabric from exposure to Devin, but luckily it wasn't much. The car had a strong stench of beer, the trademark of her father.

They got to the school, the parking lot full with no parking place in sight. Sandra's mom pulled right up to the front, getting as close to the office as she could. Sandra hopped out, hoping she could at least get in the school.

*****

When third hour ended, she headed to the cafeteria, passing Maxon. "Hi, how you doing?" She happily exclaimed.

"Oh. Fine," as if bored, he said as little as possible.

"Ok, well, what did you do last night?"

"Hey, listen, I have to go with my friends, see you later alright?" Brushing her off, he headed in the other direction.

"O. . . k?" Too late she replied, Maxon was already gone.

She went back to strolling to the cafeteria, sad to eat alone. She struggled to get through the crowd, being bumped into and bounced around all over. Finally, she was almost to the cafeteria, almost.