Confrontation -11

Her alarm clock screamed, making Sandra groggily get up. Rubbing her eyes, her sight finally focused.

"Why am I waking up an hour early?" She asked herself, still half braindead. That's when she remembered last night. "Oh. Mom must've set it because she knew I still had homework. . . ugh."

Not wanting to get out of bed, she flopped out onto the ground, the cold floor finally bringing her all the way into reality. She stood up, fumbling away downstairs. Almost tripping on the stairs, she smacked her backpack onto the table and went to get a bowl. 

Milk and cocoa puffs everywhere, she sat down with her breakfast and buckled down to finally get some work done, which was quite an accomplishment since she just woke up. She was not a morning person.

*****

"Hurry up Sandra, you're going to miss the bus again!"

Rushing to scribble on the last math problem, she silently cursed her math teacher for being so evil. Finishing her homework she bolted up the stairs, skipping a step or two. She threw on the nearest clothes she could find and brushed her teeth like a madman. Finished getting ready, she threw some boots on, completely forgetting socks. She tossed everything nearby into her backpack and jumped out the door. 

As if repeating every other day, she skidded down the sidewalk, going as fast as she could. As her short legs pounded down the road, she finally came around the curve blocking her stop from view. Seeing the bus pull up and open its doors, she pounded the ground even harder, not wanting her mom to have the hassle of driving her to school. Finally, meters away, she slowed to a jog as the last kid filed in, she being right behind him. She sat down, not even that exhausted since she did this every day now. The bus rumbled to life once more and bumbled on down the road.

*****

Prancing down the bus stairs, she followed the herd of students in the door. She walked past uniform lockers, all the same, boring beige. Walking up to her locker, she hauled her backpack off her back, opening her "snack bar", as she only went there to get a quick snack since she stored it with food at the beginning of the year.

Twisting the round middle of the lock, clicking with every turn. She pulled down, hard, hearing the satisfying ca-chunk. She pried open her dysfunctional locker, just to be surprised as confetti sprouted up, littering her face. Chuckling to herself, her eyes settled onto a bag with a paper taped to it. Seeing bold, thick words, she peeled it off.

Sorry, I'm not here, I have something I need to take care of. Instead, I hope you like the present I got you! Love you! 

-xoxo, Devin

A grin covering her face, she carefully folded up the note, stashing it into the back of her locker. Not even caring how he found out her locker combo, she opened the small little box, unraveling the golden ribbon wrapped around it. Then she lifted off the silver top that shined like the moon. She unwrapped the crinkling paper, seeing something shining. She pulled the delicate chain out of the box.

Dangling it in front of her, she saw her name intricately designed onto the bracelet. Smiling with lots of joy, she quickly clasped it to her wrist and gathered her things to go to first hour.

Arriving in band, she got out her trumpet, playing a quick chromatic scale before the class started. A smile across her face, she noticed how much better she was from the week before. 

*****

Heading to Spanish, her second hour, she was certain that today was going to be a great day. She did well in band, barely messing up notes. Also, Ella wasn't here today! Initially, she was worried that without Devin there, people would pick on her, but so far nobody bothered her. 

Second hour there was a vocab test. But since she studied in the morning, she breezed through it, regurgitating the words from her mind onto the paper. She didn't know if they were exactly right, but she got it done so she didn't really care. Having the rest of the hour to do anything while her classmates finished, she sunk cozy in her chair, opening her book, transporting her self into another world.

*****

The rest of the morning went by in a flash. She had a little run-in with Matt, but he couldn't do anything with everyone there. Smiling to herself, she walked into the cafeteria, lunch box in her hand. Then she froze, her smile melting. There were boys sitting at her table. Boys from the football team. Their burly shoulders hunched over as they snarfed down their sandwiches, laughing their heads off.

Too shy to confront them, she made her way to the side of the table that was deserted. She scooted as far as she possibly could. She opened her lunch box, taking out her sandwich and cautiously glanced over at them repeatedly as if they would steal her lunch. 

After a few minutes of nothing, she finally eased her stance, relieved no one had noticed her. She continued eating in silence, wishing Devin was there to make her laugh. 

Maybe this day wasn't turning out that good, after all, she thought, slowly munching on some carrots. I know if Devin was here it surely would be much better.

She opened her book she was reading at the moment, needing some sort of entertainment. Soon, all her attention was on her little world inside that book. So much, in fact, she almost didn't hear the voice speaking to her.

"Hey," it called out. Hearing it so close, she looked up. Her shoulders tensing. That's when she saw the warm and cozy brown of those eyes. The eyes of a brawny boy, a brawny boy sitting in front of her. Golden hair flopping down onto his forehead, a smile confronted her. 

"Um. . . Hey?" She said, scared out of her wits, but also curious of what this jock was doing talking to her.

My life never stops evolving and exhausting me, does it!? Smiling worriedly, she put her book down.