Detention- 17

"How does it end up that three of some of my best students end up in a fight?" The principal questioned, a disappointed look shaming his students. "And a fist fight at that! What am I going to do? This school has no tolerance for fighting, yet you are some of my most talented and smartest students. I can't lose people like that at our school. We need people to set an example, but frankly, this is in the opposite way I was expecting and hoping for. I am so ashamed in you right now. "

After a few seconds of silence, his students still hanging their heads, too ashamed to look at him he spoke again. "Well? What do you have to say for yourselves? I don't have all day and I need an explanation." His eyebrow quirked up as he tapped his watch.

Finally, Maxon spoke up. "Sir, Sandra didn't do anything. Honestly. She was just-"

"Sure she wasn't Mr. Gardener. I know you would do anything to help your friends, so don't lie to me." He interjected, not believing him one bit.

"No, really sir! She didn't do anything. She was actually trying to split us up." Devin answered, not wanting Sandra to have to pay for their mistake. It was bad enough she had to see this. 

"I'm sure you would do the same Mr. Hailrick. You both aren't fooling me one second."

"Really sir, she didn't do anything. Actually, we were fighting over her." Maxon argued again, starting to make himself, Devin, and Sandra blush at the last little bit.

The principal sighed, looking at them for a long minute. Finally, he let go of his gaze, speaking again. "Fine, I believe you. I guess she won't have a punishment, but I can't say that for all of you. I have decided that you two will have a month of detention, and if this happens again you will be suspended. Is that clear?"

Maxon and Devin smiled a little, happy they could save Sandra from this. "Um, sir? Will it be after school or at lunch?" Devin asked, realizing he never said.

"You choose, whatever works for you."

That really made them smile, glad not only that it wasn't both, but they also had freedom in the matter. Now, they wouldn't have to ditch Sandra at lunch or after school. One of them could always be with her.

The principal stood up, done with this problem. "Now that this is settled, your detention will start today, and I can't find any better time to start than right now since it is lunch. You will go straight to the band room and help them clean the instruments."

They all wrinkled their noses but did as they were told.  They all stood up and filed out of the office. 

Sandra, in the middle of all the awkwardness, tried to break the ice. "Well. . . that went well, right?" 

They both glanced at her, and then went back to glaring at each other like before. "Well, I guess we better head off to detention. Nothing like cleaning out spit valves, right?" Maxon tried to conversate with Sandra. Giving them one last awkward look, she walked off back to the cafeteria lunch line, all alone as they headed off to detention.

"Watch it loser! I don't want to be touched but such a low down dirty trash bag like you, Sandra!" Ella said when they almost brushed shoulders. Great. I'm alone for two minutes and its back to being picked on. I'm surprised this hasn't happened more recently. It's like Ella and her troop isn't even at school sometimes.  It's so weird.

Trying to brush off this bad encounter with Ella, she headed back to the lunch line, trying to forget about all of this.

*****

Walking down to the band room, she was surprised, seeing Devin and Maxon walking out together and. . . laughing? Confused by this, she went up and confronted them, a questioning look on her face.

"Since when were you two best buds? I thought you hated each other." She stated.

Maxon quickly filled her in. "Well, detention was the worst, and was really, really boring, so we started chatting, and we told each other about our relationship with you."

"Yeah, I told him that you were really close to me and you were my girlfriend, and he explained that you were really, really close friends, and told me all about how he kept you company when I wasn't there. I am now very sorry about what happened, but really grateful that he kept you company when I couldn't. I can see you're both really good friends now, and I am totally okay with it. Actually, I'm happy that you made new friends Sandra!" Devin finished, Smiling like a goofball at Sandra.

"And now we're really close too! Right bro?" Maxon clapped him on the back as they grabbed each other's hands, completely and utterly surprising and confusing Sandra. How could all of this happen in thirty minutes?

"So, what have you been up to?" Devin said, bringing his focus back to her. " Are you okay? I'm sorry we couldn't eat with you.

"You've only been gone for thirty minutes. I think I can take care of myself." She responded, thinking about that run-in with Ella. 

"Ok, ok. Wanna go to forth hour now? We might be late if we don't." He said, shrugging his shoulders. He looked at Maxon, as if he needed permission to go to his next class. No, as if he needed permission to leave with Sandra. Of course, Sandra noticed this, unsure what to do.

"Sure. We probably should." She mumbled to him, not sure how to take this new friendship. 

*****

The rest of the day went by, leaving Sandra to deal with one annoying bus ride home with Ella before she could finally have some peace at home. Getting off the bus, she trolled home, hands in pockets as she contemplated her confusing, all over the place life. She walked slowly, needing time to think about everything before she arrived home. 

Getting to her house, she opened the door, it squealing open. She sat down and got her homework out, focusing everything onto it, not wanting to think anymore about the occasions in her life right now. She settled down and got straight to work on finding X for math.