A True Friend- 19

The next day Sandra came to school looking even worse then she did before. When she got to her locker, Devin wasn't there as usual, but for the first time ever, Maxon was. Surprised, Sandra walked up and hugged him. She needed someone to rely on after a very long and hard night.

"Hello to you too," he replied to her hug, squeezing her back. 

Her voice was muffled since her face was plastered into his shirt, but he could still understand her as she spoke to him. "I missed you." 

"Haha. It's only been a day!" She looked up at him with a look, a look that said not to joke like that today. A look that told him just how much she needed a hug right now. His smiling face soon became serious and he went back to comforting her in a warm, tight hug. Then they sat there, leaning onto her locker, for another six minutes. People passed them without a glance as Maxon felt his shirt getting wet. He heard small little whimpers, making his heartbreak and his head race. Finally, he pulled her back, caressing her face in his hands as he wiped the tears off her face. He soothingly shushed her as he gave her an understanding look that was brimmed with worry.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his voice quiet and gentle.

"I'd rather not talk about it," She said, a few hiccups as a result of the crying. Not wanting to push her, he just pulled her back into a hug, holding her tighter than ever before.

When the bell rang, they pulled apart, departing in different ways to get to classes. After that long hug with Maxon, Sandra felt a tinge lighter, a little less burdened. But nowhere near complete. One hug couldn't fix her, even if it was perfect.

She continued walking, mentally preparing herself for another day full of embarrassment and humiliation. She headed into band, starting her day off on an awkward note.

*****

After an exhausting morning, Sandra slumped down on her seat in the cafeteria, unrolling the crinkly brown, drab bag that her mom somehow made even with all the drama that unraveled the other night. Sometimes her mom was a superhero, always saving the day. She pulled out her dry, crumbly sandwich as Maxon bounced down onto the seat.

"Geez!" Sandra exclaimed, gasping. 

"Oh, sorry," Maxon said. "But you need to come with me."

Grabbing her hand, he pulled her out of the room, breaking out in a fast walk. Sandra, having no idea where they were going, had no choice but to follow. They continued to walk quickly until they got to a door, the paint chipping off and the hinges rusty. 

"Close your eyes," Maxon said, placing his hands over her eyes. Reluctantly, she complied, letting him put her in darkness. As he got closer, his chest touching her back she blushed, embarrassed. Slowly, he nudged her forward, and she heard a door squeal open. She felt a warm draft come over her, and the hands over her eyes disappear. Taking this as a sign that she could open her eyes again, she did, what she saw made her gasp.

Out in front of her was twinkling lights, hanging all around the room. They glowed, looking like the night sky, or how she imagined a safe haven would. In the middle, there was a round table holding a big bowl of delicious, warm spicy noodles, her favorite food. All she could do was stare in shock in that old abandoned classroom. She couldn't believe that Maxon turned something so hideous into something so wonderful just for her! Her face broke out into a smile, and she twirled around to give Maxon a big hug.

His eyes glowed, and he was smiling too. They sat there, staring up at one another as they hugged. Again. "Thank you," was all Sandra could say, overwhelmed with this amazing feat. She closed her eyes, pressing her cheek to him.

"I had to skip a class to do this, but it was worth it. Anything for you." He said, making her glance up at him, suspicious there was something more than just friendship. He was still looking down at her with loving eyes, proud to make her so happy. She pulled away, not wanting anything to happen that they would regret.

"So, should we eat?" She said, breaking the moment.

"Uh, yeah, totally," Maxon replied awkwardly, stepping towards the table. They sat down, each grabbing a big, steaming bowl of noodles and dug in.

*****

The rest of the day Sandra's face was dreamy, still thinking about lunch. They had both satisfied their stomachs, slurping up so many noodles and loving the kick of heat that came after. As they sat around eating, they had a friendly conversation, talking about everything in life. Maxon, wanting to distract Sandra from what was bothering her, was careful not to bring anything hurtful up, trying to make her overjoyed. They laughed so hard their stomachs hurt and had such a pleasant time neither one of them wanted it to end. This was the most fun Sandra had had in her life since when she was three and her father played with her on the playground. When he wasn't abusive or an alcoholic. 

Of course, it did end, and they were both struck back to reality when the bell rang. They reluctantly threw away their styrofoam bowls and headed out the door, turning off the lights and closing the door to cover their tracks. This time they headed in the same direction since their classes were next to each other.

As they walked down the hall, their shoulders brushed over and over since they were so close to each other. Finally, not able to bear it any longer, Maxon sneakily slid his hand into Sandras, startling her. 

"W-what are you doing!?" She asked, uncomfortable and awkward. She slid her hand out and walked at a faster pace. She may find Maxon to be a nice boy, but she still had a boyfriend that she was loyal to. She got away, her face as red as a ripe tomato.

"Sandra, wait!" A call came from behind her, but she kept walking, heading onto the classroom before her brain could convince her otherwise.