Caught -10

They finally broke apart, hearing the bus come around the corner. Sandra grudgingly climbed onto the bus as Devin waved his goodbyes and walked off.

"Wait! Where are you going!?" She hollered after him, surprised by how he just left since she expected him to barrel on after her.

"My house is really close to here. I don't need a bus!" He yelled back, still walking.

"You sure?" Worried about him, she still hung off the bus, not wanting him to get hurt.

"Get on the bus lady! I can't wait here all day!" The gruff bus driver told her, pissed that she was taking so long.

"Fine, Geez." She muttered under her breath, trudging back onto the bus. 

*****

After a smooth ride that seemed hours long for Sandra, her stop finally rolled around the corner, and she hopped off. Not wanting to be any later, she ran as fast as her little legs could take her, only slowing down when she arrived on the front porch. It now being 9:45, Sandra clicked the door open as quietly as possible, not wanting to alert her family. Slowly, she creaked the door open and entered the vast and eerie room, barely illuminated by the moon outside.

Cautiously, she trailed into her house, her hands out in front of her, feeling for walls. She kicked the door closed and tried to find the stairs, not wanting to turn the lights on and alert her parents. She slowly inched up the stairs that were almost impossible to find, moving her feet slower than a snail. After a very long time, she finally managed to make it to her room, clicking on her lights now that it was safe. Turning around, she went to go get her pajamas.

"Where. Were. You." Almost screaming because she was startled, she clamped her hand around her mouth and whipped her head around to see her mother. "You're lucky I covered for you, otherwise your father would be furious. I don't know what he would do if he found out you were out this late. Good thing you left that message, otherwise I would've gone straight to the cops."

"Mom. . . I am so sorry. I wasn't expecting to be out this late. . ." She muttered, dancing around the complete truth.

"Where were you!? I have been waiting for you for the last half hour!"

"Um. . . Out?"

"IF YOU DON'T TELL ME, I WILL HAVE TO TELL YOUR FATHER. I CAN'T LET YOU RUN AROUND, NOT EVEN TELLING ME WHERE YOU WERE! I WAS SO WORRIED, WHAT IF YOU FAINTED AGAIN LIKE BEFORE WITH NO ONE TO HELP YOU!?" She said, practically screaming with frustration. It was a miracle her dad didn't wake up. 

"I. . . I was out with Devin. He's my boyfriend." She replied, hanging her head low, embarrassed and worried about what her mother would think.

Slowly, her mothers face got redder and redder, looking more like a strawberry than a human. "WHAT!?"

On the verge of tears, Sanda rushed out an explanation. " I'm sorry, its just he makes me so happy. Hes there for me when I need him and supports me. I've been depressed for a very long time, and he changed that. He stood up for me when I was being hurt, and I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life when I'm with him. I don't know how I survived without him before, because he has put together my broken up life, and now is the only thing supporting me. You're never here, Dad is. . . well. . . dad, and my friends were terrible. On top of that, I am very, very stressed and am dealing with a lot right now. I'm sorry I did this, but not sorry for what I did it for." 

Tears streaming down her face, her mother finally relaxed, seeing how important he was to her.  She realized just how much her daughter really was facing, and without her mother to be there with her, she had to go to someone else to rely on. Standing up, she opened her arms, inviting her daughter in.

"Oh, Honey. . . I never knew you had so much going on! Why didn't you tell me?" Slowly rubbing her back, she tried to comfort her daughter, her heart breaking at the sight of her so sad.

"Y-y-you a-are n-never here." She gasped out, crying full speed now. Her mother pulled her back to sit her on the bed, trying to soothe her and make up for all the times she wasn't there. She sat there with her daughter, tears soaking her new blouse, but she didn't care. Her daughter needed her, and it was time to be a real mother. 

Eventually, her tears relented, allowing them to speak again.

"Darling, I am so sorry. It's okay that you went with him, just next time give me an explanation, okay?" She said, still using her calming voice. " I know you've had some rough times, and it's okay. And yes, I do know I said no dating in the past, but this guy seems really great." She hurriedly finished, seeing Sandra start to respond. She wanted her daughter happy, and if this would make it possible, she'd be fine.

"Now, go get ready for bed," she patted her on the back, encouraging her to get up. "Oh, and Sandra?"

"Yes?"

"I would hide that jacket. I think your father might be furious if he sees it. . ." Looking down, Sandra blushed, finally noticing she forgot to give Devin his jacket back. Quickly going over to the closet, she took it off, carefully folding it. Then she placed it in the farthest corner of her closet before heading to her bathroom to get ready.

*****

Her fluffy and plush Pajama bottoms on, she slid into bed, exhausted from how much work and drama had happened that day. She riffled through a basket until she found her notebook, opening it to draw. Getting out a pencil, she glided the pencil across the page, as if creating a whole world, or in this case, just the perfect drawing of her perfect person. 

Exhaustion coming over her, she tossed her journal on the floor, allowing her eyes to close and a dream to wash over her. Smiling in her sleep, she met her perfect fantasy. Devin.