Nightmares- 13

The rest of the day went by in a flash. It was as if Sandra was doused in luck and happiness and didn't need anything anymore. She was surprised at how much easier life was without terrible friends and abusive people in her way. She finally had her day. 

Arriving home, she had the whole place to herself. Her father finally got a new job, and her mother was always at work no matter the day. Turning into a couch potato, she lounged out around, bringing a big bag of salty, flavorful chips with her. The first time in weeks she had time to relax and actually enjoy some T.V., she was going all out. Curled up in a blanket, she stuffed chip after chip into her mouth, eyes fixed on the T.V., volume all the way up so she could hear over her chewing.

*****

"WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS MESS." A voice shouted, startling Sandra out of dreamland. Quickly scrambling to get up, she fell off the couch, the blanket still wrapped around her legs. Chips spewed around her little corner of the couch, all she could do was look down in shame, hoping for some pity.

Her father stormed over to her, in her face in an instant. She could smell the putrid smell of alcohol on his breath, using all her will power to not make a face. "I LEAVE FOR THREE HOURS, AND THIS IS WHAT I GET!!?"

Shoving her to the floor, Sandra cried out, chips crunching under her. This just seemed to make her father even angrier. Grabbing her by the hair, he pulled her up, his voice dangerously low.

"If. This. EVER. Happens. In. My. House. Again. . . I think a better option would be to leave before I get to you." He muttered into her ear, barely containing his anger in that short amount of time. Then he struck her across the face, sending her once more to the ground.

"CLEAN THIS MESS UP AND GO SOMEWHERE WHERE I DON'T HAVE TO SEE YOU." Kicking her for good measure, he left, mumbling words just so she could hear. "Worthless piece of trash. No one will ever like you."

She bent down, not wanting to be hurt anymore.  Silently crying to herself, she picked up crumb by crumb, starting to feel the stinging in her cheek turn to swelling.

After she was done cleaning up, she climbed into her bed, getting comfy before settling down to do homework. She finished problem after problem, equation after equation before she couldn't stay awake any longer, and fell asleep surrounded by paper and pencils.

*****

Her dreams were restless that night.  All she could think about was her dad, a ferocious man, towering over her, threatening her with his hand. Over and over she saw that hand plummet down, every time just barely missing her. She scrambled up, running with all her might down the dimly lit hall, just barely able to stay running.

Finally, her foot hit something, sending her spiraling down. She turned around her back to the floor, seeing her dad standing there, stomping his way towards her, suspension building up. His eyes seemed to glow in the darkness, slanted down in a glare. A cruel smile was slithered up his face, his teeth looking so pointy they could hurt something. Badly. 

Almost on top of her, she tried to scramble away but his foot was holding her down. His fist clamped into a tight ball, his smile only growing. Squeezing her eyes shut, she was scared out of her wits. Knowing she was about to get hurt, she braced herself and waited. 

After a few minutes of just sitting in that blackened hallway, held down to the floor with a big threat looming above her, she peaked her eyes open. She hoped for the danger to be gone, but of course, that wasn't the case. Looming over her still was her father, looking like an ogre in the light. His smile covered nearly his whole face now, his teeth looking as if they were glowing.

His fist looked deadly as if it was a knife, not a hand. Her father looked at her with cold, dead eyes, finally sending his fist plummeting down.

Sandra woke in a cold sweat, darkness encasing her. She felt as if she was dying, She felt as if she was being held back and strangled, her blankets strapped around her, suffocating her. Unable to take it anymore, she ripped the blankets away, trying to struggle her way out. Finally managing, she landed her foot onto the ground, hearing a faint sound of cracking, sending her into more panic.

After a second, she calmed down. Realizing it was just paper, she inched her way down the wall, searching for the light switch. Turning it on, she found her room a mess. Homework everywhere and blankets jumbled up into a mess, she got to work. She straightened her bed up, realizing she would get no more sleep tonight, and honestly, was afraid to. She gathered the papers up, organizing them so she could start on her homework again. She sat at her desk, it only being five o'clock, and got to work.

*****

Her alarm clock ringing, she got off her bed, closing her book. It was only seven, yet she was already dressed and packed for the day. Skipping down the stairs, she got her cereal out, not letting her bad dream interfere with the new day. Trying to be as perky as possible, she ate, thinking of her love.

Skipping down the sidewalk, she made her way around the corner, no one in sight. Normally, that would be a bad thing meaning the bus already left, but today she was lucky. She didn't have to sprint just to make it to school. Opening her book she got lost in her own little world yet again as people arrived around her, surprised she was here instead of in her pajama's curled up in a blanket.

As the bus pulled to a stop in front of her, she closed her book, getting on and ready to hope for the best.