Run -6

Scared out of her wits, Sandra bolted. Her house was 5 minutes away if she was running, but luckily she was a fast runner since she ran to her bus stop every morning. Unluckily, Matt was on the football team, making him faster. She ran, never looking back but hearing screams from Matt.

"COME BACK HERE YOU FOOL! WHEN I CATCH YOU YOU'RE GONNA PAY! YOU BETTER STOP NOW OR IT'LL BE WORSE FOR YOU!"

Hearing his heavy footfalls, she knew he was faster. His legs were much longer, and she could hear his feet moving faster than hers. She HAD to think of something. But how could she? she was being chased by a rabid giant and had to focus all her energy to outrun him!

That's when she saw it. A tree! A heavy guy like him was sure to break the branches if he tried to climb it. She, on the other hand, never weighed an ounce over 120 pounds, and had loved climbing trees ever since she was little. 

She rammed into the tree, too fast to slow down. Wincing at all the pain, she sucked it in and grabbed hold. Shimmying upward, the adrenaline she had in her making her a rocket. Suddenly, she heard a thud. Must be Matt arriving. Her breath caught, a new wave of adrenaline coursing through her.  Finally, she reached a branch far out of reach, almost 15 feet off the ground. She pressed against the trunk, cowering at the sight of Matts strong hands grabbing hold of the skimpy branches.

"Oh giiiiiiirly. . . I'M COMING . . . " a demonized look on his face, he lifted himself off of the ground. 

No. No. NO. All she could do was repeat one word in her head as she watched him rise higher and higher. Why wasn't he falling?! If he even tapped the branch she was on, it would surely break, sending her spiraling into a now rather painful looking ground. 

Finally, after another agrivating few seconds (but felt like minutes to her), he choose his branch poorly. She heard a crunch. Looking into Matts' eyes, she saw them go from cruel, beady slits to panic and confusion in a matter of seconds. Knowing there was no escape, he squeezed his eyes shut and braced for impact. That's when she heard the concluding snap. Feeling the dropping feeling as he fell, he went from a curled up ball around the branch into a sprawling mass dropping at an alarming speed, concluding in him ending up with his head smacked against the tree as he lied there, not moving. 

After about five minutes of staring at him, she decided it was safe to come down. Slowly inching towards the ground, muscles sore from all the running, she reached the bottom in a matter of a minute or two. Limping with pain, she made her way towards Matt, no having the heart in her to just leave him there. She crept into a squat, looking to see if there was any blood or injuries. Surprisingly, she didn't see anything cut, but she could see some raw areas that were bound to bruise. Cautiously, she moved her hand to touch his face. 

"Huh? . . . Where. . . am I?" Matt peeled his eyes open, utterly confused in where he was and what he was doing.

"OOOoooooooh no," Sandra muttered under her breath. 

Somehow Matt heard her response and jerked his head that way with a wince. "YOU!"

Hearing his words, she bounced up, light on her feet, and sprinted down the street towards her home. Matt, ignoring all the pain he was in, also got up and tore after her. "OH, YOU'RE GONNA GET IT NOW! GET. BACK. HERE!!!"

Having more adrenaline than ever before, he gained twice as much speed as last time. Soon, Sandra was jolted back by her hood, Matt finally catching her. Holding her in place by her hood, he leaned in and started talking, a sneer plastered to his face as Sandra wrinkled her nose to the smell of cologne, sweat, and tree sap mixed together and reeked from him.

"Now you're going to pay," he whispered in a dangerous voice. Then, he clamped his fingers into his palm creating a tight fist and inched it back making it painful for Sandra to stand. 

"Please. . . please don't," She whimpered, almost to the point of tears. 

With no sympathy, his sneer grew larger and his fist plunged forward. Acting fast, Sandra slid out of her jacket and kicked Matt's shin with all the strength she had left.

Howling as he caressed his leg, Sandra muttered out five simple words. "I asked you not to." Then she tore down the street, listening to his yells grow farther and farther behind. 

Arriving at her house three minutes later, she was still at a run so Matt wouldn't catch up if he decided to run after her. Tripping on the front steps she skinned her hands, but quickly got up and rummaged through her backpack. With shaking hands, she jammed the key into the lock until the door opened. Throwing herself into it, she fell onto her floor and quickly slammed her door, not knowing if she was safe or not. 

Finally. She gasped for breath and sat there, her mind playing over and over what just happened as it tried to comprehend. She just got away from one of the best football players in the district who just tried to beat her up. Could this day get any crazier?