Chapter 2

The student known as Masaru Fukuhara took his feet off of his desk, leaning forward as he sat the folder in front of him.

"Miyake..." he began, and Rina was a bit put off by the lack of an honorific he used, despite the fact that Miss Miyake didn't seem to care, "...what is the meaning of this?"

He stood up, hands on the desk as his gaze moved from Rina to the teacher next to her.

They both stared at each other for a moment, both calm, but Fukuhara was clearly more annoyed than Miss Miyake.

"She's a student of mine. She got in trouble and she has to join a club as punishment, she'll be joining yours." She said, crossing her arms and tilting her head slightly.

Fukuhara walked around the desk over to the two, hands in his pockets, peering down at Rina, who he was at least a head taller than.

"No can do, you know I work alone." Fukuhara said, turning back to Miss Miyake.

Rina grimaced, was this guy for real? He was in high school, but he was trying to talk like a full blown detective. Was he delusional? Despite this, Miss Miyake seemed unfazed, and responded,

"It's just for a month, and as the club's faculty advisor I insist. I think it would be good for you both."

She looked to both of them, neither seemed to pleased with the situation, but she clearly didn't care.

"You sprung this on me, Miyake. What am I even supposed to do with her?" Fukuhara asked, almost like Rina wasn't in the room.

Rina, agitated at this point, spoke up.

"Hey, I'm right here! And it's not like I want to do this either!" She spat out, scowling at the older boy.

Fukuhara simply glanced over at Rina, seeming to size her up, then turned back to his conversation.

"So I'm babysitting for you now, then?" He asked, face still not changing.

Miss Miyake shrugged, her expression as dull as his was stoic as they both ignored the angry "Hey!" Rina shouted out.

"Look at it that way if you want, but for at least a month, she's your new club mate." She said, turning to the door, turning back at the last minute.

"You're always alone, Masaru. At least give companionship a try." She finished, opening the door and closing it behind her as she left.

There were a few moments of silence, and Fukuhara looked at the door, seeming to dwell on something.

Rina frowned and looked at the ground, clearly this guy didn't want her there, so why did Miss Miyake bring her? And what exactly is a Detective Club? He and Miss Miyake were close enough that she called him by his first name too...

She was snapped out of her thoughts when he finally spoke.

"Rina Akamine."

She perked up slightly, looking up at him. He looked as nonchalant as ever, but his face had softened a bit since she first entered the room. He sighed and turned to face his desk.

"Though I don't like the idea, it seems I have no choice but to take you in for a month...as my assistant."

Rina listened intently, almost intrigued by how confident every word sounded, but frowned when he said assistant.

"Assistant? Miss Miyake didn't say I had to be your assistant!" She crossed her arms and pouted, staring daggers into the back of his head.

Fukuhara kept his back facing her, but turned his head halfway back.