Chapter 6

The weekend had been an uneventful one for Rina, mostly spent at home doing not much of anything. The only thing of note she had done was hang out with Yua for a few hours on Saturday, and even then they just ate and went shopping. Not what Rina would call exciting, but she was just thankful to have a friend to spend time with.

But the fun time had come to an end, and Rina found herself yawning on Monday morning and rubbing the sleep from her eyes, yearning to have another lazy day already. She knew she had to get up, however, so she swung her feet off of the side of the bed and stood up, swaying a bit before shuffling to the bathroom.

After her usual routine of brushing her teeth and hair, and putting on just a bit of makeup, she smiled at herself in the mirror and stepped out, and went to her room.

After getting her uniform on she went down the stairs and went to the kitchen to cook herself lunch for the day. She always made sure to get up early so she had time, though she wasn't quite sure why she bothered. It had become one of those routine things that she simply never stopped doing, and would likely stay that way. She hummed to herself, knowing her father had left for work already, and put everything into her bento when she was finished. Satisfied with her morning's work, she slipped her bento into her school bag, picked the bag up, put her shoes on and went outside.

Her walk to school was the same as always, with Yua catching her halfway and teasing her for who knows what Rina may have done on some other day. Most of the time Yua made something up and jokingly presented it as fact, with Rina brushing her off with a faux annoyed expression. Such was also part of her routine, though not part that she disliked. When they got to class, everything seemed the same as always. Rina was almost upset about the lack of variety, if she hadn't remembered what happened last time something "exciting" happened in class. While she was thinking of that incident, it occurred to her that she hadn't heard a word about it from any of the students besides Yua. Were they avoiding her, or just being polite? She decided not to dwell too much on it as the bell rang and class began.

As she sat in class, daydreaming like always, her thoughts drifted to the case her and Masaru would be working on that afternoon. A girl being bullied in her class, having her things vandalized. Rina frowned to herself, she wondered how people could be so cruel. She looked around the room, were people in her class capable of that? Was it happening even then and she simply wasn't aware of it? She lamented her powerlessness towards the situation as the minutes rolled by, and was barely even aware when the lunch bell rang. She was only truly pulled out of her trance when Yua's desk slid into hers at what Rina thought at the time might have been warp speed.

"Wake up!!!" Yua said, a bit louder than necessary, and sat down.

"Gah! I wasn't asleep!" Rina said, startled by the sudden assault on her eardrums.

"You could have fooled me." Yua said with a shrug, taking out her bento and wasting no time digging in.

Rina did the same, albeit more like a human being would, and glanced over at Yua.

"I see you're already wearing that bow you got the other day." She said with a grin, looking at the small green bow Yua had on the side of her head.

"What can I say? Fashion calls to me, and I answer." Yua said with a mostly full mouth, prompting Rina to snicker in response.

"Oh yes, very stylish. If you're a ten year old girl." Rina teased.

Yua puffed out her cheeks and pouted.

"You're being a bully." She said with fake sadness as she finished her bento, something Rina was only about halfway done with.

"That's me, meanest girl in class." Rina said, continuing the joke but secretly wondering if it was true.