How Could It Be?

*Normal POV*
"Hello, Cakesniffers," the rotten girl greeted the elder Baudelaires. Even though everyone's faces were covered by masks, including the Baudelaires', they could tell this was Carmelita Spats. They despised the bully and now knew that the smoke wasn't the only thing that scared the snow gnats away. They looked behind Carmelita and saw a group of children gathered around the fire, wearing masks as well. They all wore puffy jackets with glittery pink words on them except for two. A man by the name of Bruce welcomed Violet and Klaus next to the one of the masked children as Carmelita told a tedious story about how amazing she is. One of the masked scouts interrupted her, "I'm quite sorry, but I bet these two travelers have an interesting story to tell." He said. The Baudelaires knew this person was a he because of his voice.

" I agree, " The second one said in a more feminine voice, "I'd enjoy hearing a very fascinating drama."

"We know lots of stories," Klaus replied, "about vastly frightening dangers."
" And vain fashionable divas, " Violet offered.
"We're terribly sorry our acquaintance couldn't meet you two; He hasn't had a very fun day and is sleeping on a horsehair blanket these kind snow scouts provided." The boy said, acknowledging he received the message. The girl nodded in agreement as Bruce decided it was time for bed.

Violet pulled Klaus into the corner of the cave. "So you think we can trust them?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper. Klaus shrugged, "They were using the codes, so they must be in VFD." He replied as the masked girl approached them with warm clothes and brown blankets with glittery pink stains. "Here are some extra blankets. Sorry about the pink stains; Carmelita spilled nail polish on them." Surely enough, the repugnant girl's nails were bright pink and sparkly. Klaus smiled at her from behind his mask and assumed she was smiling back.

"She seems familiar."
" So does the other boy. "
"It could be a coincidence."
" Or it could be someone we know. "
"How could it be?"

~*~

The Baudelaires woke up with the two strangers standing over them, accompanied by a third person that they assumed was the aforementioned acquaintance. One of them quietly shushed them before they could say anything. "Follow us," the girl whispered. She pulled Klaus up by the hand, making him thankful the masked girl couldn't see his face through the mask. One of the masked boys took Violet's hand in the same way, but much more gentle about it. Her face turned bright red as she realized this boy was basically holding her hand when she still missed the adorably dorky boy she met at Prufrock Prep. The five carefully stepped over sleeping bags and outstretched limbs and gathered around the fire, which had died down completely some time ago. "This is a Vertical Flame Diversion." The acquaintance said, pointing at a chimney-like hole in the roof of the cave "VFD headquarters is above this cave and we can get there by using the footholds. It's echoey as well so stay quiet." The other two strangers seemed somewhat hesitant to follow this person, probably since they weren't sure if who was underneath the mask. Klaus nodded and began to follow the boy up the Vertical Flame Diversion. The masked girl followed him.

"Go ahead," the masked boy offered Violet.
"No; I can wait for you."
" I insist. That way, you don't have to be the first one picked off if someone unsavory follows us. "
"In that case, you really must go first. I can handle unsavory people; there's been a few since the death of my parents."
" I'm terribly sorry. My sister and I lost family as well. I'll go next if you really want me to. "
Violet nodded softly as she attempted to wipe a tear from her face, forgetting about the mask she was wearing and her hand hit the mesh protecting her identity. The boy apparently noticed and let out a small chuckle. Violet breathed out a light laugh as well was she was finally able to being her ascent. It seemed to last hours, especially since the Vertical Flame Diversion was echoey and they couldn't risk being found.