Nobody Would Listen

A/N: I tried to word-for-word recreate the scene until the twist... Enjoy!

*Violet's POV*
We couldn't believe that it took this long for Olaf to get his trial. Justice Strauss has beckoned Klaus, Sunny, and I to the stand so we could give our testimony against him. "Names?" Justice Strauss asked us.
"Violet Baudelaire," I responded .
"Klaus Baudelaire," my brother replied.
"Sunny Baudelaire," my sister answered.
"Occupation?"
" Inventor. "
"Researcher."
" Chef! "

Justice Strauss was about to speak before Count Olaf, so rudely, interrupted her. "I object! Their proper occupation is orphan or inheritor of a large fortune. "
"Your objection is noted," she said sternly, "Although I caution the defendant about speaking out of turn."
" Is this out of turn?" Olaf taunted.
"Yes!"

Olaf nodded in understanding as Justice Strauss turned to us. "Baudelaires, you have traveled a great distance and suffered a great deal, but you are finally safe. Among friends and associates, classmates and coworkers, faculty members and countless neighbors, reporters, theatre-goers, fasionistas, doctors, nurses, carnival guests, mountain climbers, telegraph operators, and deep sea divers. They have been watching you all along the way and are prepared to speak out on your behalf, but the most important testimony is yours. Go on, Baudelaires, tell us your story. This time, we promise to listen."

I took a deep breath before beginning our long and sorrowful tale. "It began when our parents told us to take a rickety trolley to Briney Beach." I said.

"It was a gray and cloudy day, so we had the beach to ourselves," Klaus added.
"We were testing an invention when we saw a figure in the mist. It was Mr. Poe, from the bank. He told us..."
" He told us our parents had perished in a terrible fire. We went to live with Count Olaf... "
"He hit Klaus across the face."
" He tried to marry Violet. " A shiver went down my spine and I remembered the handsome journalist that would be the one boy I'd ever want to call my husband.

"He poisoned Uncle Monty." Klaus added to his own statement.
"He threw Aunt Josephine to the leaches."
He conspired with Esmé Squalor. "
"And Carmelita Spats."
" He kidnapped the Quagmire triplets from Prufrock Prep. "
"He murdered Jacques Snicket in the Village of Fowl Devotees."
"He tried to cut off Violet's head at Heimlich Hospital. He threw..."
" He threw a brave and noble librarian to the lions. Everywhere we went, we tried to tell people who he was and what he was capable of! " I yelled. I was beyond furious as I silently mourned the deaths he had caused. It was beyond depressing that nobody seemed to care.

"But they wouldn't listen."
" Nobody would listen! "
"How simply dreadful," the simplton of a banker inputted.
"We lost everything!"
" Everything except eachother. "
"We survived because we believed that one day, we'd find a safe place."
" Where people would listen to us."
"And believe us." I added.
" We suffered so much, but the root of our suffering is one man! That man! Count Olaf! "

I took another deep breath, "This world won't be quiet or safe until he's behind bars!"
" And all decent people have their day in court!"

The sound of silence filled the air of the hotel lobby. I couldn't bear to see anyone's expression after we had poured out everything we've been holding inside, so I kept my eyes squeezed shut. I opened them as applause replaced the silence. I didn't want applause. I wanted to hear handcuffs being strapped around Olaf's wrists.

"They're so brave!" Jerome Squalor squealed.
"They're so organized!" Babs added.
"They remind me of myself!" I heard Vice Principal Nero shout.
"If only you children had told me what you were going through!" Mr. Poe added. I knew for a fact that none of us were children anymore. We were mere shadows of what our childhoods had once been. Empty husks of human beings, searching for comfort from anyone who would provide it. Our guardians. various volunteers of VFD. Quigley Quagmire, the brother of the boy I love. Isadora Quagmire, my best friend in the world. Duncan... How much I missed him. How much I wished to see my dear journalist smile one more time.

"Thank you, Baudelaires. We are grateful for your courage. You may step down now." Justice Strauss told us gently. It felt reassuring, like all of our suffering would end shortly...

~*~

"I've always been honest about my desires, Baudelaires. You severely injured or dead, and your fortune in my rarely washed hands..." Olaf said. I was absolutely disgusted with him in that he didn't wash his hands. "That's more than the rest of these people can say." He added.

" These people are here to help us, " I retorted.
"Help you? Look around! I see a banker who cares more about a promotion than three orphans." He spat.
" Vice president of orphan affairs, " Mr. Poe corrected.
"I see a man who was too afraid to protect you and a woman who values paperwork over people's lives." He added, gesturing to Jerome and Babs.
"I see a vice principal who was more than happy to allow me into his school, as long as I stroked his ego."
" That's a lie! He only stroked my... violin..."
"I see a woman who only wanted you because you were in, and a village that only took you in to do their chores. And best of all, Baudelaire Brats, I see three little orphans, waiting for their sapphires, that couldn't keep you out of my clutches. You failed your twin friends more than you'll ever know!" I felt a tear break through my strong act. "The Quagmires aren't twins. They're triplets. Quigley Quagmire is alive and he promised to return me to my beloved! Olaf, so you mind answering a personal question... For those here, Klaus and I included, who have felt love?"

" Go right ahead, Orphan. " he replied with a smirk.
I ignored the fact that he called me orphan, instead of my actual name. "How many women have you emotionally or physically manipulated in order to get what you want?" I asked. I knew I wasn't going to like the answer.

"Emotionally? Well, let's see: Esmé, Josephine, Georgina, Veronica, Kassidy, Cheryl, Janette, Joy, Samantha, Ellington, even Justice Strauss here, Clementine, Val, Elizabeth, Caroline... Physically? So, so many more! Including Klaus' little twin girlfriend." He sounded proud to have hurt so many women. I had no idea what he had done to Isadora, but I didn't want him to stop elaborating, so he could have more crimes in his list. He turned to my brother, "You know what my hand against your face feels like, Orphan Boy..."

" YOU BASTARD!" Klaus shouted. I didn't care that he cussed. He had every right to be mad. "I DON'T CARE WHO HEARS THIS: IF YOU EVER, AND I MEAN EVER, GO NEAR A SINGLE GIRL, ESPECIALLY ISADORA, YOU'RE GOING TO WISH ALL I DID TO YOU IS THROW YOU BEHIND BARS! NOBODY DESERVES TO BE TREATED SO HORRIBLY, ESPECIALLY ISADORA. SHE'S WONDERFUL IN EVERY SINGLE DAMN WAY AND I LOVE HER WITH ALL OF MY HEART! ANYONE WHO THINKS THEY CAN HURT HER WITHOUT PAYING THE PRICE HAS ANOTHER THING COMING."

" Klaus, sweetheart, I think that's enough, " the voice of my best friend filled the room. She had just heard Klaus pour his heart out and he had to face her.

"Can we have a few minutes, Justice Strauss? We have a private conversation that needs to be held." I asked.

*Klaus' POV*

My sisters and I were sent to the room we were held in with the Quagmires. I didn't dare speak. Isadora had heard me confess my feelings for her in the form of a threat to a repulsive man that struck her. I knew what it felt like - It felt like a knife against your cheek; the sudden contact. His hands even left a small bit of grease behind as you are left questioning your life choices. I knew for a fact he would have taken it a step further if Duncan wasn't there to protect his dear sister. I shuddered at the thought of it as the six of us embraced one another. I held onto Isadora for so long. I've been known to be protective of my sisters. This felt entirely different. It felt like she truly belonged in my arms. It was perfect - the way her arms felt around me, the faint scent of something perfectly imperfect that couldn't escape my thoughts, like a song that your mind wouldn't dare let you forget, she sniffled lightly into my sweater, setting it slightly from her tears, most likely from being reminded of the time Olaf hurt her.

"I love you, Isadora. I'm not going to let you get hurt ever again. Not without a fight." I whispered to her.
"I know you won't. That's why I love you too." She whispered back. I smiled lightly and knew that we would be safe with eachother. Our two families were one, whether we wanted it that way or not.

**********
1519 words