Little White Lie

*Klaus' POV*

"Thanks for inviting me over! I can't believe I haven't visited yet."

My best friend, Duncan Quagmire, was coming over to hang out with me. We get along super well and he's one of the coolest guys I know! It was after school so I asked him if he wanted to come over to do homework, play games, eat some snacks, etcetera. 

"No problem, Duncan. I needed some socialization time today and my family won't be home for a while anyways. C'mon, I'll show you my room."

I appreciated having someone to spend time with! My parents were at work, Violet had other things to do, and Sunny was at a friends house, which would have left me all alone if I hadn't invited Duncan. I helped him with some of his english homework and he STILL mercilessly destroyed me in a video game! To be fair I had just gotten the game while he had it before and was still teaching me the controls while we were playing, so clearly that shouldn't count, right?? Regardless, I was having a good time! And I got a text at some point that Violet would be back soon.

"I'll be right back," Duncan told me, getting up.

"'Kay. Don't be too long." I responded, smiling. I heard a small knock on my door and saw my older sister. She wasn't looking at me, but rather down the hall with an amazed look in her eyes. "Hey, Violet! What's up?"

"Who was that...?" She asked in a dazed voice. 

I scoffed a little at her obvious interest in my friend. "That's Duncan. He's a friend that we have a few classes with. I was just having him over for a few hours."
"Well he's a cutie."
"I have to disagree with you there, Vi." I laughed.

She rolled her eyes. "Just saying, if he doesn't have a girlfriend I would not complain if you try to set him up with me."
"He doesn't," I informed her, "But something tells me letting you two get acquainted is going to get my friend into some trouble."
"Hey, my trouble is fun and harmless!"
"Bye, Violet."
"But, Klaaauuuuss!!"
"Byyyeee, Violet!"

I watched her nod and leave. I rolled my eyes. 'Jeez, Violet, do we need to get you mental help?' I internally joked.

~*~

I checked my phone and noticed Violet had texted me again.

"Violet said she has cookies in the kitchen." I announced.
"Can we go get some? I haven't had snacks in like 30 minutes!"

We made our way to the kitchen and Violet was sitting at the counter near a plate of white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. Now I know Violet isn't the best baker, so either she bought these and wanted to impress Duncan or we're about to get poisoned. I looked at my friend and he was observing the room with a suspicious look in his eye. He nodded, then turned his attention towards Violet.

"Hi, I'm Duncan," he introduced himself. "Violet, right? Klaus' older sister?"
"I am. It's nice to meet you." She smiled.
"You as well. May I have a cookie?"

Violet beamed. "Totally! And you'll have to tell me if I did a good job or not." She shoved the plate closer to our side of the counter and we each nabbed one and took a bite. Instantly, I could tell these were store-bought. No offense to my sister, of course. Now I just wanted to see if Duncan believes her fib. 

"Well?"

I chose not to answer and waited for Duncan's input.

"These are tasty. Good job picking these out in the bakery at the grocery store." He said with a smirk.

"I- What?" Her face turned red in embarrassment and she looked at Duncan with wide eyes.

Duncan rolled his eyes with a smile. I took another bite. 'This'll be a show.' I thought, holding in my laughter since this was already so funny to me.

"Well it's kinda obvious that you didn't bake these. Firstly, they're room temperature, not warm like a fresh cookie. I didn't see any bowls or baking sheets in the sink earlier and I still don't. It would be hard to make them without them, huh? Third, there's literally an empty package sticking out of the garbage can, which can be supported by the note on the fridge pointing to a chore wheel that says, 'Violet, stop turning the wheel. You know it's your turn to take out the trash. Love, Mom.'" 

I was nearly losing stability at how much I was laughing. 

"It's not that funny, Klaus," She said sternly. Other than that, she seemed to flustered to speak. 

Duncan took another bite of the cookie and spoke again when he swallowed. "At least you have good taste in cookies."

"Thanks..." Violet muttered. "That was... Kinda impressive." She admitted.
Duncan smiled. "Thank you. I pride myself on my observational skills. I appreciate the effort to impress me though."
This seemed to soothe her a little. "Okay," she said quietly, "Take more if you want them."

I grabbed a napkin and put a few more on it. "Thanks, Vi!"
"Thank you, Violet," Duncan added, smiling at her.

Violet's face turned redder. "Yea, no problem..." She said, blushing. 

I rolled my eyes. 'Someone's gotta say it.' I thought. "God, get a room, you two."

They looked at me like I had just spoken in tongues or something.

"Sh-shut up, Klaus..." Violet said, crossing her arms and turning away so neither of us would see the look on her face. I half-dragged Duncan out of the kitchen because I was pretty sure he wouldn't leave of his own free will...

"Your sister seems fun." He laughed once the two of us were out of earshot.
"Yeah sorry about that. She's quite the character, huh?"
Duncan hesitated before speaking. "She's pretty too. Does she have a boyfriend?"
"Really, dude?"

"You talk about her a lot and she sounds like a great person. And her reaction to me disproving her little white lie was priceless. Come on, Klaus, please?"

I sighed. "She's single, and she did say she thinks you're cute. But I don't want you asking for her number or anything until you're leaving okay? You came over to hang out with me, remember?"
"Of course! Beating you in another game sounds just as entertaining."

I scoffed. "We'll see about that!"

~*~

"Sunny, stop singing about Duncan and me sitting in a tree!"
"How'd you know I was singing while you're too busy lying about making cookies?"

Well, I just had to share what happened at dinner!!

*****************

1089 words

Just something silly ;)