Chapter 3

After the quarrel with Chara he had last night, Ethan felt relieved to find Cameron in the kitchen. The injuries stung a little but he felt good today. He had emotionally healed a little from the abuse and was getting better mentally.

"Is it okay if I go over to Chelsey's today?" Ethan asked.

Cameron thought for a moment. "Who's Chelsey?"

"A girl that I got introduced to yesterday. Shelby and I thought that we could all hang out and get to know each other." Ethan explained.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Cameron teased.

Ethan blushed a little. Whilst yes, Chelsey was cute, he was still in love with Mark, no matter how long he'd been apart from him. He shook his head and sat down on the bench chairs. They sat in silence for a second, Ethan's eyes widened as he remembered that he had ice skating lessons that day. They were once in a blue moon but they really helped him with a few certain jumps.

"Do you want a coffee?" He offered quickly.

"That'd be amazing Eth." Cameron nodded. "As I can see, you just realised that you have skating this morning so after can you go get your gear?"

He nodded and put some instant coffee in a cup and some into a keep-heat-in bottle. He added some sure and waited for the kettle to boil then poured the boiling water into the bottle and the cup. Ethan got some milk and added it before passing the coffee to Cameron. He put the cap on his bottle, going to drink it once he was in the car and went to get his skates.

One thing that Ethan picked up the moment he got to Canada was figure skating. No he wasn't planning to do this as a career but more to distract himself and it was fun. The cold stadium mixed with the smoothness of the ice made him feel calm and collected. He felt excited whenever he achieved a new jump, it felt like he was back at the gymnastics gym again.

Ethan picked up his skates, socks and a jacket. Also the iPod that Mark had given to him. He always found an excuse to use it instead of his phone. It was a lot smaller and could easily fir into his jacket. The skates were black with holographic, scale-like patterns along the side. After Ethan had started to enjoy going down to the skating arena after school Cameron had bought his custom skates that Ethan had designed. Every day that he wasn't with his friends, he was down at the skating rink practicing or if he couldn't get on the bus on time, training in his room. Usually when he'd hang out with his friends, he'd give himself a break from training to allow his muscles to heal. Or if his mother wasn't home, who still hadn't found his hidden skates and doesn't know about his hobby.

Once he did that, he grabbed a backpack and chucked some comfier cloths, ran to the bathroom to get a toothbrush and his actual phone and charger for when he got to Chelsey's.

Ethan walked back downstairs, and nodded to Cameron. Cameron smiled at the skates, he'd always like Ethan's ideas and designs. They both walked outside, Ethan sipping his coffee as he got into the car. It was autumn but it was getting cold. He turned on the heater in the car and went through the music on the iPod, hooking it up to the Bluetooth speaker. Ethan chose the song that he'd met Mark to. The song that Mark was singing in that cabin in the summer. As they drove, Ethan let Happier's lyrics run through him. Remembering how he had run into that cabin and scared the crap out Mark... he remembered everything. When the song ended he put on a few other songs until they finally got to the rink.

"Alright, it's way to cold in there for me but you go have your lesson and in two hours I'll be here with a hot chocolate." Cameron smiled.

"Alright." Ethan thanked opening the door and picking up his skating stuff. The cold air instantly hit him as he walked towards the rink. It was going to be colder inside and he knew that but once he was on the ice, all of that was forgotten. He nodded at the person at the desk. His name was Hayden and he had black hair and forest green eyes. He was around twenty five. Once inside, Ethan walked towards the rink which was open from 12 AM to nine PM to the public but actual lessons started at 11 AM. Sometimes, if Hayden was working, he'd allow Ethan to go onto the ice for some solo skating. It was fun.

Ethan slid on his skates and walked onto the ice, smoothly taking off. He spun around and slid across the ice backwards. He jumped and spun slightly so he was back to skating towards. He attempted a few jumps, failing miserably before his coach walked in.

"Ethan! You're early! Your skating is so smooth now! I saw you attempting a Loop. I think you should start with a toe loop instead." His coach, Andy, stated. Andy got on the ice and skated over to Ethan. "Now, what you want to do is start on the back outside edge and land back there on the same foot."

Andy demonstrated, he gained speed and then spun around so he was facing backwards. Ethan watched as his coach used the foot on the edge where the barrier was and jumped into the air, spinning once with his legs crossed over slightly with one another and then landing on the same foot. The coldness of the place was getting almost too much which was why Ethan never stopped moving.

Andy was Ethan's coach for six months. He didn't start teaching Ethan actual tricks until Ethan was strong enough. He taught Ethan how to jump and spin so he was skating backwards or forwards but then worked on his actual technique.

"You see what I did?" Andy called.

Ethan nodded.

"Remember, posture and timing is the key. Let's try to get you started."

After the lesson, Ethan was exhausted but happy. He was bundled up again in his warm cloths instead of his skater gear. He hadn't managed to actually perform the trick but he almost got into the right position. When he finally spotted Cameron's car he ran over and jumped in, sighing as the heat hit him. Cameron passed him a hot chocolate with a smile.

"How did it go?" He asked.

"Great! I'm learning how to do a toe loop!" Ethan exclaimed.

"That's awesome! I'll come in some time, but for now, it's way too cold." Cameron said.

"So, to Chelsey's?"

"Yup."

"The address?" Cameron asked.

"Shit. Hang on." Ethan sighed texting the number that Shelby had shot him in the morning.

"Fifteen Warring Street." He said when Chelsey replied.

"Alright, lets go!"

Okay, this was an adventure to write XD. I was at school again... I'll talk about that in my rant book 😪 but I was copying The Shadows Among Us down so I could do my work at the same time because it's on my computer. Most of my teachers are really chill and I've been doing all the work that I should so mad props to those teachers for giving me the space and flexibility. If they see this, thanks guys, it's really helping me out. Alright, love y'all and peace out!