8

'Nance!'

I hear a muffled voice shout. Then I feel freezing cold water, all over my head.

'NANCE!'

Laurel is practically screaming at me, and I scramble to sit up.

'Yeah? What? What's going on?'

'It's 10am! Why are you still in bed?'

I jump out of bed immediately, rushing to turn the shower on.

'Laurel! Why didn't you wake me earlier!'

'I started getting ready at 7 and finished at 9, then I went to visit George, I thought you'd be up by the time I got back!'

'Laurel! Class starts in 5 minutes!'

'You better rush then!

She heads towards the door,

'I'll see you there'

She opens the door and steps out.

'Laurel, wait!'

'Bye Nance!'

The door shuts quickly, and I hear footsteps down the hallway. Great. My second ever lecture and I'm gonna be late.

I rush to get ready, putting a messy outfit together, a navy button up blouse and black suede skirt. I wear minimal makeup and brush my hair through; leaving it down and bolt to class, fast as humanly possible.

I slam the door open quickly, and feel everyone's eyes burning into me, I see Laurel snigger, and scowl at her. I take my seat next to her and she starts properly laughing, and so do I.

Class is extremely slow; as are the next few days.

Tuesday evening: revision, bearing in mind I missed half a lecture

Wednesday: class and revision all day

Thursday: Class and even more revision (the beatles are on a local radio station, I squeal a little and Laurel almost faints)

Friday: Early morning class at 8 am. I revise until 6pm, and I think I'm actually grasping chemistry at this high of a level.

It's Friday evening now, and I'm in the bathroom, washing my face with a cleanser and a flannel. I change into my pyjamas and step to where our beds are, and Laurel is on the phone with George.

'Come round? Oh Georgie, Nance wants to sleep'

I sigh, knowing what's about to happen. Laurel will want me to leave to have alone time with George. I'm not sure why she can't go round his every once in a while, yes he lives with his parents, but he's 20 now. He can have sex if he wants to, surely.

I walk over to Laurel, and take the phone from her,

'Hello, George?'

'Nance? Hi love!'

'Head over now, I'll leave for a couple of hours, you and Laurel can do what you want. Do each other for all I care'

I don't need to see George to know he's gone read. I feel Laurel slap my arm and pretend she's annoyed, but I know she loves all of this.

'Thank you, Nance. Tell Laurel I'll be there in 5'

'Bye George'

'Bye'

I put the phone down, and change into some decent clothes. I wear a white long sleeved blouse that shows more cleavage than I remember, and a black skater skirt. I brush through my hair again and grab my bag which has my purse in, and head out. I have no idea where I'm going, I'm just gonna wander.