12

I plug my seat belt in and inhale deeply. Paul's hand caresses mine. I keep my eyes glued to the road, even when Paul turns down the radio to speak to me,

'Sure you want to go ahead with this, love?'

He squeezes my hand, and I finally turn to face him;

'I'm sure'

He pulls my hand up to his lips and kisses it gently. For the first hour of the journey, neither of us speaks. I'm so nervous about everything and I'm figuring out what I'm going to say over in my head. Rehearsing everything. I imagine how Lucy is going to react. She adores Thomas, and I'd hate to see her disappointed in me. I know that Thomas is going to be really upset and angry with me, and I'm dreading his reaction. He must have seen it by now, the newspaper is very popular nationwide, and I know his mother buys it regularly. I start crying suddenly, I don't even expect it.

'Love don't cry, it's all going to be fine!'

I start crying harder, and my eyeliner starts to run. I pull a tissue out of my bag and wipe it under my eyes, hoping to catch all of it. Paul grabs my hand once again and kisses my cheek softly.

'I promise we'll figure everything out, Nancy'

I'm only sniffling now, and although I know that everything will 100% won't be fine in any way, shape and form, I'm strangely reassured by Paul's words. He seems as though he really means them.

'You think so, Paul?'

'Of course, he can't be that good of a boyfriend anyway, he hasn't wrote you once since you've been up here, and it's been two weeks now'

What he's saying is true, but I did cheat on him, but he didn't know, it's very unlike him to not send anything at all. Lucy managed to write me a few times, so it's clear that he was very much able to if he wanted.

Two hours into the journey and I'm still quiet; but I'm talking a lot more than I was. The boys have been on the radio a few times since we've been driving, and Paul's face lights up every time. It's such a sweet and lovely sight. I could get used to his handsome face looking happy and I couldn't imagine myself ever getting sick of it.

He catches me gazing at him, in a daze. He smirks at me,

'Alright, there?'

I kiss his cheek,

'You're so handsome, 'tis all'

He blushes slightly, and mumbles a thank you.

Three hours and now I'm feeling better; still incredibly nervous, but I can actually forget about where I'm going for a few minutes at a time before my stomach twists and I'm reminded that I'm driving to (essentially) my doom. The boys are on the radio yet again, and Paul's face is still ecstatic when they come on.

Four hours in, and we have half an hour to go before we arrive at my house. The traffic is heavier heading into The City, which makes my mood much worse. I'd much rather get there and get this all over with. I think about everything, and explain everything to Paul.

'Okay so I think I'm going to go to Thomas' house first to get the worst bit out of the way, right? Then I'm gonna go to mother and Lucy because they'll be happy to see me regardless if I'm a cold hearted cheating bitch, so they'll be able to boost my mood anyway. Also it's lunchtime, and we might be here for a couple of hours and it'll take four hours to get back so should I ask mother if we can sleep. It shouldn't be a problem I have a double bed and-'

Paul laughs,

'Whoa, Nance, slow down'

He squeezes my hand,