17

I look at my reflection; my skin is white as snow. Surely I can't be pregnant, can I? I'm too young and not ready. Paul and I have only been together for about a month; and we use protection. Well, most of the time. There have been about 3 times where we haven't and that was towards the begging of our relationship, now we've settled down we use it every time. I guess it's too late for that.

I decide that I'm going to talk to Laurel about it. She's going to be as shocked as I am, but she's my only female friend here. Apart from Sandra who sits with us occasionally for lunch (she went to primary school with Laurel) but I hardly know her. I consider Laurel as my best friend at this point.

I pull on some tight jeans and a simple white blouse, and start to head out. Paul sees me start to leave and grab my shoulder, he chuckles slightly; happy as ever. My heart sinks thinking about how our relationship will definitely be over if I am pregnant. I turn to face him suddenly, and he suddenly looks confused and stops laughing,

'Sure you're alright, love? You look a bit pale'

I nod quickly, brushing him off,

'Yes yes, I'm fine, I left something at George's last night and I'm just going to pick it up-'

'I can drop you off if you like'

'No! No, it's fine, really, thank you though'

I kiss his cheek but he frowns, and holds both of my hands.

'Nance, something's wrong, isn't it?'

I shake my head as convincingly as I can,

'No, Paul, I'm fine'

He sighs,

'If you say so, but please, let me drop you off. I better go and have a word with John anyway'

I nod slowly, and he kisses my head,

'Let's go then'

We head out to Paul's car, neither of us uttering a word. I can feel my heart beat in my chest every time I look at him. He's got such a future ahead of him, he's going on tour soon and is recording a second album, too. He's meant to be keeping our relationship on the down-low, let alone having a child. Half way through the journey he grabs my hand and squeezes it, I look up and smile at him; and he smiles back.

Soon enough; we arrive at George's house. I kiss Paul goodbye, and tell him I'd be at his flat in a few hours. I can tell he knows somethings wrong; but he doesn't mention anything. I step out of the car and head to the door, the balloons which once stood proudly at the door are now deflated, dangling in defeat. I sigh, and raise my hand to knock, I hesitate momentarily, then decide to do it.

Laurel opens it, her hair is messy and she's in a dressing gown but she still looks pretty. Her face lights up when she sees me, then it turns sad when she notices I'm worried,

'Hello, Nance! What's wrong?'

'Laurel I'm scared'

'About what?'

'I think I might be pregnant'

Her eyes widen, and she opens the door wider and gestures for me to come in.

'What?! Why?!'

'Because, we haven't used protection every time and this morning I was sick, also I think I mentioned to you that I'd missed a period but I didn't think anything of it'

She sighs and rubs her face,

'Well let's go to the pharmacy, yeah?'

I nod, and I feel a tear escape the corner of my eye. Laurel pulls me in to a hug, and squeezes me tight,