Chapter 1: The Accident

"Come on, Bud, faster!" They flew up towards the sky in an amazing speed. "Now, Toothless, dive!" The Night Fury complied and they headed straight to the ground on the other side of the Edge's island.

The speed was increasing until Hiccup clicked the pedal and it moved the tailfin, thus the entire flight, or better, fall, in a way that they'd be flying close to the ground, deviating from the trees around faster than usual but still with perfect performance.

Toothless saw the practice targets and blasted them with accuracy. They got into a clearing with three targets in front of them.

"Barrel roll! Let's hit them from behind this time!" The dragon rolled and flapped his wings to turn and go up before turning again to hit the targets from behind with a multiple blast. "Yes! Well done, bud!" Hiccup petted the dragon's head. "What do you say we finish practicing for now?" A soft coo was his answer. "Yeah, I know, I'm tired, too... It was a busy morning. Let's go back home."

Toothless nodded and glided peacefully back to the their hut, as soon as they landed, Hiccup jumped out of the saddle and opened the door up. The lad noticed the dragon dragging himself into the house.

"I've been pushing you too hard, haven't I? I'm sorry, bud, but we need to be prepared, even with Viggo gone now, I still fear that might be other hunters out there, who knows?" Toothless grunted, annoyed. "Okay, so why don't you go rest and maybe take a nap and I'll go check on the others and bring some fish for lunch later?"

The black dragon nodded happily and then cooed as Hiccup scratched under the chin on Toothless's favorite spot.

"Great, so it's agreed. Now go rest a little, you deserve it." And so the dragon went upstairs to lie on his rock slab bed; Hiccup left closing the door.

Hiccup walked around, not seeing the twins or Snotlout anywhere, but from afar, he could see Fishlegs and Meatlug on their garden, and from the looks of it, he was feeding his dragon.

The auburn haired lad smiled and continued his walk to the Club House. He expected to find more people there than just Astrid cooking in the kitchen part of the building.

"Morning, Milady. How are you doing?" He stopped by her side and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

"I'm fine, just stuck on cooking duty today... Well, at least it's gonna be better than Snotlout's smoked fish from yesterday..."

"Yeah... I guess that was on pair with Toothless's regurgitated fish... Yuck..." Hiccup growled with the remembrance, making Astrid laugh, he already told her the story of meeting Toothless; she could only imagine how bad it tasted. "Anyway, I could have helped you, if you had asked me."

"Nah, it's okay, I'm almost done, anyway. And Fishlegs came earlier and helped me a little." She said and as soon as she saw him reaching for one of the fresh made biskets and slapped his hand to stop him. "Those are to accompany the yak stew I'm finishing. And I didn't tell you because I knew you were busy training with Toothless. Where is he, by the way?"

"He's in our hut, taking a nap before lunch."

"Don't you think you guys have been working too hard? I mean, Viggo is gone, now, so no need to worry."

"Yeah, but we don't know who or what else could be out there. I just want to stay sharp for anything that might happen."

"Okay, just take it easy."

"Will do, Milady."

Hiccup had a small smile on his lips, but it slowly faded, replaced by his usual thoughtful face he always had when something was troubling him. Astrid observed him crossing his arms absentmindedly and she raised an eyebrow.