Chapter 3: A Lot of Questions

"Fishlegs... I don't think he's joking..."

"Why do you say that?" As soon as he asked, Stormfly flew up to get to the second floor of Hiccup's hut, curious and happy that her rider's mate was awake, now. It obviously just made the scared boy freak out even more.

Astrid signed Stormfly to go back down and the dragon complied. Hiccup's jaw dropped.

"T-the dragon just obeyed you?"

"Yeah... Something like that..."

Hiccup tried to stand, only to find something lacking below his left knee, and when he looked down, he felt as if his heart stopped for a second.

"Where's my leg?!" The boy yelled.

"Relax, Hiccup, it's right here." Fishlegs showed what to Hiccup looked like just a piece of intricate metal and wood.

"What? I'm talking about my leg! What happened? Where did it go? And... why am I wearing red? I don't even have a red shirt!"

Astrid bit her lower lip nervously and gestured Toothless to back away a little bit, all this stress could not be could for Hiccup and she could see he was not faking it. She kneeled to the ground by his side, trying to keep calm as she looked up at Fishlegs.

"Answering your previous question, because the Hiccup I know might pull a prank like this on those three muttonheads, but I doubt he'd do that to us, especially with Toothless."

The Night Fury looked miserable to have his favorite human look at him terrified like he'd just blast him. Toothless would never do that! Didn't Hiccup know that, already?

Astrid got even closer to Hiccup, but stopped when he flinched as if expecting to be attacked at any minute. She didn't take this personally, since she knew he was dealing with a lot right now.

"Hiccup, what is the last thing you remember?"

The boy had to think for a while, holding his head again, because it still felt as if it was being pounded. Geez, why did it hurt so much? Wait; was that a bandage around his head? Well, Astrid and Fishlegs did tell him he had hit it...

"I... I had just finished my newest invention..."

"And what was that?"

"Hm... It was a net shooting device... I wanted to use it to capture a dragon. It's still on Gobber's forge." He gulped. "I want to prove that I can be just as good of a Viking as anyone else!"

"Do you remember shooting down a Night Fury?" Astrid asked very slowly. Hiccup's eyes brightened.

"Wow, that would be awesome! It's what I'm planning to do, but... I didn't have time to use my invention, yet."

"Oh, Gods... Oh, Thor!" Fishlegs started, concerned. "H-he doesn't remember..." His voice died.

Astrid couldn't say a word, her jaw dropped and stayed there until she snapped out of that and looked up at her friend.

"Can I talk to him, alone? And can you send for Gothi?"

"Sure..." Fishlegs answered and still stunned managed to go downstairs, motioning to Stormfly to follow him out the door.

"Toothless, I'm sorry, but please go wait downstairs, okay?"

The dragon crooned in protest, but went anyway. She didn't ask him to leave the hut because she knew Toothless wouldn't want to leave Hiccup, no matter what. She continued as calm as she could.

"Hiccup, I know you're hurt and confused, but I'm trying to help you, okay?"

"About that... Why are you doing this, Astrid?"