Chapter 9: Just Talk To Me

He stayed there, sitting at the table, looking to nowhere in particular with that kiss in mind, not knowing what to think of it when the girl he couldn't stop thinking about entered the hut. He got even redder, still.

"Hey, I got some bisket for you, lunch isn't ready, yet... I guess it will take the twins a while to finish it..." She looked up at him after she put the bowl with the bisket on the table, near the map. "Are you okay? You're red all over... Do you have a fever?"

"What? No. I'm fine, Astrid...Hey, Astrid... Hi..."

She narrowed her eyes suspiciously and looked down. He decided to busy his hands as he took out the bandage around his head; it was there long enough in his opinion.

"I see you found your map. You love this thing."

"Yes! It's cool... the world is big. I didn't know it was that big... Isn't it cool that the world is that big?"

Astrid sighed heavily.

"Okay, what's going on?"

"I don't know what you're talking about..." His voice was slurred.

"Hiccup, you may not remember, but I do know you. I know when you're trying to hide something and failing miserably. You're too transparent. So, tell me what's going on before I have to force you to talk." Her hands went to her hips.

His fake smile fell as he looked at her serious face, wondering how would she force him to talk. The Astrid he knew would most certainly threaten him with an axe and maybe even hit him with it, though not with the sharp part, or she might end up chopping out another limb. But this eighteen-year-old Astrid... well, he really didn't know her that much, he didn't know what she could or would do.

Either way, he was a bit scared of her. He avoided eye contact looking down and to the sides until he found something interesting to look at: the various tailfin prosthetics. He saw them before, but didn't have the time to appreciate them.

"Hm..." He started, afraid of what she might do if he stayed shut for much longer. "I... I think I might have remembered a few things."

Her expression softened a bit.

"That's great, Hiccup! What did you remember?"

"I don't know, just flashes out of context. And then... Snotlout paid me a visit."

"Snotlout?" She grunted, annoyed. "What did he do or say this time? If he was out of the line again, I'll..."

"No. He was... nice?" He was confused at how odd it felt saying that. "It was weird; I've never seen him like that. He apologized. Besides, if he had done something wrong, I'm pretty sure Toothless would have something to say about it..." Hiccup could even imagine the Night Fury expelling Snotlout from the hut.

"So what is the problem?"

"It's what I think I remember after he exited."

"And what would that be?"

"Forget it, it's stupid..." He mumbled.

"Tell me anyway." Astrid shrugged with a small smile on her lips. Geez, it was so much easier dealing with his older self. Her Hiccup rarely kept anything from her and just blurted out everything he wanted to say. She missed that easy relationship they had.

"Look... I just... I don't even know if it's real or not and I don't want to make you mad..."

She sighed, tiredly, and sat on the table, the other chair was on the other side of it and she wanted to be close to him.

"And why on Earth would I be mad at you, Hiccup?" Her voice was getting intolerant.

"Don't ask me, I have no idea... I'm just afraid..."