Chapter 14: Back to Berk

Aside from the twins, lunch was rather quiet. As soon as they all finished, Astrid told Snotlout to do the dishes and Gothi examined Hiccup. The elder told them he was fine, despite the memory loss.

"Will I get my memories back?" The boy asked in a whisper, biting his lip. Gothi, however, didn't have an answer for that, she just said that he could have it back, but also, couldn't. Only time would tell. He sighed sadly, but Astrid rested a supporting hand on his shoulder, making him look up and smile just a little.

"Son, we need to talk." Stoick said, sending shivers down the boy's spine. Astrid could see how apprehensive he was now, and she whispered 'don't worry, everything is fine', on his ear. She knew her Hiccup wouldn't have a problem in hearing something like that. Or at least, he wouldn't be that desperate...

Hiccup stood up and followed him to his hut; Toothless was close behind. As soon as they entered the house, the Hooligan chief started.

"Astrid explained me your... situation."

"Figured that much..." He said as he sat at the table in the first floor. Stoick sat in front of them.

"So, the thing is, we need you at Berk."

"Come on, Dad, you don't need me for those boring meetings with the tribes..."

Hiccup knew he'd bring this subject, and the boy was desperate to run away from it. He hated the few meetings he had been and most heirs from the other tribes bullied him since forever, he really didn't want to deal with it when he was already feeling weird, empty and lost.

"This is an important one, Hiccup. They want to get to know dragons, and they know you're the one responsible for the end of the war between dragons. They need to see dragons are good for us, that we have them under control and that we're not going to attack them or anything like that. And, of course, show them how they can bond with dragons as well."

"Yeah, but, Dad... I don't know any of it..."

"I know, but you are the first dragon rider and the best dragon trainer we have. And you are my son; you'd have to go anyway. I'm sure Astrid and the others will help you deal with all of them, and maybe they don't even have to know about your memory problem, in fact, it'd be better if they didn't know."

"Dad, I can't introduce dragons to them if I don't even know how to approach them."

"This is serious, Son. I believe the other tribes fear that we're gonna be too powerful and then we might fight against them with dragons. We need to show them everything is fine."

Hiccup sighed and felt Toothless nudging him supportively before he laid his head on the boy's lap. Hiccup caressed the black scales of the Night Fury.

"Okay. I'll go. And I'll do what I can... I just hope I'll not ruin anything..." He whispered the last part more to himself.

"You won't, Hiccup. I've seen what you can do. You were born to bring the human world and the dragon world together. Memory or not, you were the first Viking to decide to bond with them, to help a Night Fury, no less. If you could restore a dragon's flight when we were at war with them, you can bond with them and show it to the other Vikings when we are at peace."

"Thanks, Dad." His emerald green eyes were filled with joy, and he had a prideful smile on his lips. "I guess we can leave in the morning."

"I'm proud to call you my son." Stoick said trying to give the boy a boost of confidence. Hiccup looked at him, surprised. "Don't forget that, and keep fighting hard." He stood up and extended his hand to bump his hand on Hiccup's shoulder in what he hoped to be a tender way, but being Stoick, it was strong enough to make the boy nearly crumble, if he were standing.