Chapter 8: The Better Viking

"And that was how you brought our dragons back for Snoggletog." Astrid finished yet another story that to Hiccup sounded both surreal and amazing. He was still deciding what was most unbelievable in this last story, Berk full of dragons or people relying on him and asking him what was going on.

"Wow... But, what about Toothless? He wasn't there with the others."

"Oh, he had something else to do, but he wouldn't leave you. We were at the Great Hall when he returned, and you ran to him, hugging the dragon before scolding him for worrying you to death. He probably missed you as much as you did. Maybe that's why he chose to go back to his old tailfin prosthetic that you had to control, because he wanted to be with you."

"He... chose that?" Hiccup asked astonished, stopping for a moment.

They spent the whole morning walking around, and he was making improvements in walking with the prosthetic; he still leaned on Toothless, but limped less than before. He was determined to walk properly again.

"It seems like it, because he torn apart that automatic tailfin and motioned the old one."

"Wow..." He caressed the dragon's black scales, he just purred in delight. "I'm sorry, Bud, you must miss me a lot, don't you? I mean, my eighteen-year-old self..."

"No need to ask for forgiveness, Hiccup. It was definitely not your fault. If you want to blame someone, blame Snotlout and the twins... Speaking of them..." She mumbled the last part as they saw a Zippleback flying towards them and lending right in front of the three. The twins jumped to the floor.

"We came up with a solution for our beloved leader's memory loss problem." Tuffnut started, dramatically.

"Wanna know what it is?" His sister backed him up with a proud expression.

"I'm not sure if I want to, if it comes from you guys..." Astrid mumbled, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes.

"Of course you do! Wait for it..."

"Bang him in the head in the other direction." Ruffnut revealed, lifting up her arms to give extra drama.

Hiccup and Astrid exchanged worried and confused looks.

"What?"

"You know, he was hurt in one side of his head and we believe that if we bang his head in the opposite way, might jog his memory back in place! Genius, isn't it?"

"No. That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard." Astrid's tone was annoyed. "You're not hitting Hiccup again, are you trying to kill him by any chance?"

"Just think about it, it's obviously going to put his brain back on the right place!"

"Or you'll end up damaging it even more. Drop this stupid idea." She walked to them, stopping between the twins and rested a hand on each opposite shoulder. She was smiling in an almost devious way. "And I better not listen to any more insanity like that or I'll send you both to Valhalla." Toothless growled in a warning tone. "And Toothless will help me with that."

"Okay, but you're gonna regret it and come begging for our help..." Tuffnut crossed his arms in annoyance.

"No, I won't." She released them and went back to Hiccup's side as the twins mounted on Barf and Belch again to take off. "Don't worry, Hiccup, if they try anything, they won't go pass me, but if that happens, they're definitely not going pass the Night Fury..."

"Thanks... And I see not much has changed in those three years after all... I mean, not when it's about them..."

"No, the difference is that they have a flying, fire breathing lizard to cause havoc anywhere they go..."