Chapter 22: Attack

"Killer and I will make them run!"

"Are you crazy?" Astrid asked as she approached. "You can't be serious, you began flying two days ago, it takes time to get used to battle in the air, and you'll end up getting you and your dragon killed." Then, she turned to her chief. "The riders and the A Team are ready, Sir. Just give us the order."

"Okay, Hiccup can't fly, so, since you are the most experienced, I'll let you lead in the air. If need be, I'll get Skullcrusher and go in the air as well, but I shall lead the men on the ground first."

"Wait, what do you mean I can't fly?" Hiccup asked, indignant. "Toothless is the most powerful dragon in our arsenal, I'm not going to wait on the sidelines."

"Hiccup, you're injured; there's no way you can fight like that. Besides..." She approached him and lowered her voice. "You also don't have any experience in fighting, you don't remember any of it, and you can barely fly properly, even if you weren't hurt."

"But..."

"She's right, Hiccup." Stoick told him. "You and Toothless better lead the children, elderly and the ones who can't fight to a safer place in the forest."

Hiccup sighed sadly, but nodded. He and Toothless ran to lead them. But they didn't go there with the people, as soon as they were out of the village and in a cavern deep in the forest, Toothless rushed back to the center of the town just in time to see the fleet reaching the shores.

The Hysterics were already firing the catapults at Berk; the Hooligans responding with arrows and dragon fire, the riders and the A Team already up and flying with harmony to attack the ships. Hiccup couldn't count how many ships there were, he guessed it was at least around twenty, but more were arriving and circling the bay.

Hiccup gulped looking at the destruction the enemy was doing, and he covered his head out of instinct when a boulder passed by quite close to them. His mind already working trying to answer the questions he raised: Why were they here now? What do they want?

"Too weak to fight, Useless?"

Hiccup huffed and rolled his eyes before he turn to look at Dogsbreath.

"Shouldn't you be hiding in the Great Hall?"

"I'm a Visithug, I don't hide! If need be, I'll fight and I'll do it better than ten Hooligans!"

"Great..." Hiccup rolled his eyes.

"And where's my cousin?"

"I don't know, he's your cousin, you should know." He told him in a bored tone.

"Well, he's a Visithug, he'll be fine. But let's see what people are going to say after watching the dragons attacking."

Both observed the dragons and riders deviating from enemy's arrows and attacking in perfect synchrony. The Hooligans weren't using the catapults for now, in fear attacking their own dragons, they only shot arrows once in a while. A group of fierce Vikings were waiting ready at the harbor, he Hysterics weren't close enough, yet, but it was about to change soon and the fight on land started.

"Did you notice the 'mean, dangerous dragons' are on our side?"

"Yeah... But for how long?" Dogsbreath said and Hiccup squinted his eyes, thinking, pondering... What did he meant by that? "You know, dragons are wild creatures, they're beasts, ready to turn on us. Maybe they're just learning how to fight better with humans so they can use this knowledge against us. They're using you. This fight proves how much they're learning from us, just look at them! They're learning the right moments to attack so they can use it against us!"