06 | s i s t e r

By Friday, Noah still wasn't talking to me

By Friday, Noah still wasn't talking to me. I texted him basically everyday, an apology here and there. But he wouldn't budge. I wasn't even sure I was supposed to go to his house this weekend to meet his brother and sister-in-law, or just stay home.

In the end, I decided I needed to go. I hadn't had anyone to talk about the baby with; or anyone to complain about morning sickness to. Plus, I needed Noah to forgive me. I needed him there with me.

So the next morning, I pulled myself out of bed, ate breakfast, promptly threw up my breakfast and began getting ready for the day. I didn't usually wear anything other than jeans, but since Noah's family was throwing a party, I felt the need to dress up a bit.

I slipped on a light blue dress. It came down to the middle of my thighs, and was off the shoulder a bit. I tried my best to tame the kinky curls and let them lay free and applied my usual makeup.

I told my parents that I was going to a barbecue over at a friend's house. They didn't care enough to ask which friend. I drove over, and parked on the side street, there were already a bunch of cars in the driveway and outside their house.

I timidly knocked on the door, unaware of who would answer. But thankfully, it was Noah's mom, Anna. She smiled warmly and led me inside. I could hear lots of laughter and conversation in their living room, the kitchen and I saw the sliding glass door open to the backyard, full of people.

"Noah told me you weren't coming, that you weren't feeling well," she questioned, still smiling.

I swallowed back some of the hurt that filled my chest. So he didn't want me here. I had already assumed so. "I was feeling better, I guess."

"Alright, well he's outside, most likely with his brother. So you can stay here with me and cook or wander around if you'd like," she told me.

I didn't want to seem rude so I stayed with Anna to help her cook. But as soon as she pulled out a packet of hot dogs, I stepped away, suddenly nauseous.

"Maybe it's better if you just go outside, sweetie," Anna suggested, as if sending my discomfort.

I nodded. "You're probably right."

I found Noah immediately, standing with a slightly taller man, with carmel colored hair. I assumed that he was Ace, Noah's older brother.

I made my way over nervously, not sure of Noah's reaction to my being there would be. He saw me before his brother did and the smile on his face dropped a little, but not in a bad way, more like astonished.

"Amara," he murmured as I got closer. The man next to him raised an eyebrow and smirked.

I blushed, feeling awkward and Noah cleared his throat. "I didn't know you were coming."

"That's obvious, since you told your mom I was sick," I stated with a monotone voice.

Both guys exchanged a look. I saw the guy I assumed to be Noah's brother, look over my shoulder and smile. Next thing I knew, I heard a soft sigh next to me.