07 | d e s p o n d e n t

I was walking out to my car when I heard the front door open and close behind me

I was walking out to my car when I heard the front door open and close behind me. "Amara! Wait." I turned toward Noah's voice and stopped next to my car. When he stood in front of me, I stared at my shoes. "We didn't get the chance to talk."

"I came here to apologize to you Noah," I told him, with a sad smile. "But I don't think I want to anymore."

He visibly swallowed and inhaled sharply. "I didn't know if you would show up after I got angry with you. You're a very stubborn woman. I just didn't want to explain to my mother how badly I had fucked up, she would have hit me with a wooden spoon."

I giggled, against my mind's will. Imagining Noah getting put over the knee and spanked with a large spoon was surely a sight to be seen. "Are you still mad at me? Because I really didn't mean to get all hormonal with you."

"No, not angry or upset with you. We both said and did some things that we shouldn't have." He gave me a knowing smile. "Truce?"

I held out my hand for him to shake. "Truce."

"Alright well, I'll see you on Monday?" He ran a hand through his hair before shoving them both into his front pockets.

I nodded. "When did you tell Owen about all this?" I asked, gesturing to my stomach.

"Pretty much right away," he smiled sheepishly. "I'm sorry he talked to you about it."

I shook my head. "No, it's not a big deal. I wish I could tell Eden about it in person."

"You haven't told your best friend that you're pregnant?" Noah's eyes were wide.

I bit down on my lips. "It feels weird telling her on FaceTime. I figured I'd wait until she came down for New Years Eve. I mean, I haven't even told my parents yet."

"Yeah, about that. When were you planning on doing that? When you go into labor?" He joked.

I chuckled. "I was thinking maybe tonight."

"Getting confident, are we?"

I raised an eyebrow. "I'm scared out of my mind Noah."

His gaze turned serious. "Hey, just remember that if anything happens, we're here. Just call me and I'm on my way."

"Thanks," I told him, grateful. "I had fun today. Your family is cool."

He smiled. "They sure like to think so."

"You know, you're gonna be a good dad Noah," I echoed the words of his brother. He eyed me with caution. "I don't think anyone's told you that yet. And if I needed to hear it, I'm sure you do too."

Noah leaned against the hood of my car. "Thank you. For a second there, I thought you were a mind reader. I definitely needed to hear that. I could feel the freak out coming."