11 | d e n i a l

Eden was having me meet her at her house; that way, we could drive over to our favorite restaurant, the Roller Diner, together

Eden was having me meet her at her house; that way, we could drive over to our favorite restaurant, the Roller Diner, together. I pulled up into her driveway, my hands shaking and covered with a sheen of sweat.

I was more nervous to tell Eden about the baby than I was to tell Noah.

She was already waiting for me outside once I got there; so when she saw me, she jumped up and down excitedly and ran over to my car. She hopped into the passenger seat and squealed, "Ames! I feel like I haven't seen you in years!"

"Well, it's been about four months so I guess you're close enough," I said right back, not sounding nearly as excited as she did. I leaned over and tried to give her a hug over the middle console to make up for my lack of enthusiasm.

Eden immediately started pelting me with her questions. "So, any new boyfriends since i've been away?" Not quite. "How's the family?" I wouldn't know. "What was the thing you had to tell me?"

Now, that, is the question I wasn't ready to answer and had hoped to avoid it for as long a humanly possible.

"I'll tell you when we get to the diner," I told her calmly.

She made a frustrated sound that bordered on "ughfugdund," and then she smacked me on the arm, and not lightly either. I just snorted and kept driving.

We made it to the Roller Diner and my stomach flipped over, letting me know that I was still, in fact, nervous as hell

We made it to the Roller Diner and my stomach flipped over, letting me know that I was still, in fact, nervous as hell. We made our way inside quietly and waited to be seated. Once seated, I knew the inevitable was coming. So I waited until our drinks came.

"I'm pregnant," I stared blankly.

Eden choked on her lemonade. "I think I heard you wrong. Who's pregnant?!"

I pointed to myself.

"No you aren't. There's literally no way; you don't even have a boyfriend," she shook her head, trying to reason with herself.

I tilted my head. "It's 2019, Ede. You don't have to be dating someone to rattle the sheets," I joked, knowing this wasn't a joking matter.