16 | r u m o r m i l l

I was forced to address the situation earlier than I had planned

About a week after my second check-up, not including the one confirming my pregnancy, I got to school and immediately knew something was off. Noah was sitting in his normal seat in our ASB class, but the people around him were looking back at me.

I tried to look like I didn't notice, keeping my eyes on my lap. But when one of my friends, Bianca, stood from her seat and sat in the empty seat next to me, I couldn't pretend nothing was going on.

"Hey, Amara, how's it going?" She smiled like normal, her frame was relaxed.

I nodded, "I'm good. How have you been, Bianca?"

"Good, good. Anyway, we haven't hung out in forever!" She changed the subject quickly.

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, sorry, I got a job and have been focusing on schoolwork and college apps."

"I get it girl! So, I came over here because Kelsey is throwing a party on Friday and I wanted to know if you were going? We can get ready together," she asked, spewing her words out at an abnormally fast pace.

I quicked a glance over at Kelsey herself, who Bianca had just been talking to. She didn't like me much, I wasn't sure why, but she had always given me dirty looks throughout the years. "Um, I'm actually not sure if I can go on Friday; I might have family plans."

"Oh, okay. That really sucks. I've really missed hanging out with you, Ames!" She pouted playfully.

Sure you have.

Most of my friends from school were fake. Before I got pregnant, it seemed extremely important for me to keep up socially for my senior year. With Eden leaving me for college, I didn't really have any other options, friend-wise. The girls I had stuck myself to were more popular than I was, but since I was in ASB and reasonably liked, they let me hang out with them.

They took me to parties every Friday night, had sleepovers every Saturday, had a spa day at least once a month at Vera Wong's family country club. I felt included, and I felt important. But once I had gotten pregnant, none of it mattered anymore.

I stopped being so caught up in myself and what plans I had, and what boys I wanted to hook up with. It stopped mattering to me how much attention I gave to some group of girls who barely cared about me. And now, they were wondering why.

When the bell for class rang, I slipped out of the room, sending Noah a quick, but fleeting smile. He winked back, making me chuckle and then I was on my way to my next class.

I had almost made it there when I felt a figure swoop in next to me. I turned to the side and saw Reine. "Hey-"

"The rumor mill is buzzing," she told me before I could finish my greeting.

My stomach dropped. "What do you mean?"

"There's talk about you, Amara," she looked upset to say the least.