you're just way too good at pretending

Chapter 12

'Would you stop pacing?' Chris asked, rolling his eyes.

His words made Finn stop abruptly in the middle of the office.

'How did it get leaked to the media?' he asked, eventually deciding to sit down on the couch.

'Hey, don't look at me.' Chris said. 'I've only informed the producers about your decision, I swear that I had no idea that they will go with it to the television.'

'God, did they really have to go with this to those stupid gossip programs?' he groaned, hiding his face in his hands.

'Well, they like the idea of those big names associated to their movie, you know, Zumann, Chalamet... You... The filming hasn't even started yet and people are already talking about it. It's good for the promotion, you see?'

'Great.' Finn muttered.

Chris looked at him intently before he spoke again.

'So... Millie is mad, huh?'

'Umm...' Finn hesitated, looking up at him. 'Let's say that... That I'm not her favorite right now.'

Finn knew that he shouldn't have left when they were basically in the middle of a fight, that there were things left unsaid, that Millie is still mad at him, but... Maybe he should give her time? Maybe if she thought this through then she would realize that his leaving was a mistake, that he really should stay here, that... That this is ridiculous to expect that he is going to leave her for eight months.  

'I-' Chris started, but Finn cut him off quickly, seeing a knowing expression on his face.

'Just don't say "I told you so."'

'Well... Actually, I told you that you should tell her and you didn't want to listen to me.'

'Since when were you that smart, huh?' Finn asked with irritation in his voice.

'Since always.' he grinned.

Finn only looked at him with a bitter expression on his face. He didn't need scolding right now.

'Okay, okay. Sorry.' Chris said, raising his hands in surrender, noticing that Finn wasn't in the mood for jokes.

'Okay...' Finn sighed heavily. 'What am I supposed to do?'

'For starters tell her that you're sorry.'

'Oh, you're a genius.' he said sarcastically. 'I apologized to her like a hundred times.'

'So apologize a hundred and one.' Chris said. 'What, did you think that she'll be grateful that you didn't tell her?'

'It didn't matter.' Finn said. 'And she wasn't supposed to know anyway.'

'Yeah, but now she knows.'

Finn ran his hands over his curls. This feeling of helplessness washed over him again and he couldn't help but be pessimistic about this whole situation. A lot of people around him wanted him to think this over, to accept this role, to change his mind. Chris, then Wallace and now Millie...

Yeah, he used to argue with her, they had some misunderstandings over the years. He knew how stubborn she is.

But... Seriously, what part of "I'm not going to accept it." people didn't understand?  

'What, you won't say anything more?' Finn asked, annoyed. It looked like Chris wasn't planning to add anything into the conversation.

'What do you want me to say?'