20. Mommy Dearest

Y/n asks the boys about her mother, who died while giving birth to her

Y/M/N - your mother's name

_______________________________________

Mary was brought back by Amara about a year ago as a favour to Dean, who had helped mend the relationship between her and Chuck.

Ever since Mary has been back, a lot of shit has also gone down. Between her going behind our backs and working with the Men of Letters and Jack being born, things have changed. Some for better, but a lot for the worse.

Sam and Dean were beyond happy to have their mother back. I mean, I would be too, if my mother had been brought back to life. Unfortunately, Amara and I did not share a "special connection". But the Mary that came back was very distant.

She didn't pick up their calls and  constantly found out ways to avoid being with her sons. Needless to say, Sam and Dean were upset, Sam more than Dean. I guess he was disappointed to see that his mom, who he had heard great stories about, was nothing like he had expected. Dean became distant and shut himself off.

Then, Jack was born and Mary jumped into the Apocalypse World, along with Lucifer, leaving Jack in our care.

Dean had already expected her to be dead, but Sam was more hopeful. He reminded Dean over and over again and kept reassuring him that Mary was still alive.

There was hope. Not a lot, but still enough to keep us motivated to find ways by which we could bring  Jack and Mary back home, safely.

All three of us had been researching day and night for the past couple of weeks.

On one such day, all of us were sitting in the library of the Bunker. Dean and I had a book in our hands and Sam was typing away on his laptop, trying to find ways to open up a rift to the other world.

I was beginning to get a headache. These books were at least fifty years old and had gathered a lot of dust. Every couple of pages or so, I would sneeze which was followed by a groan.

Dean looked at me a couple of times and then, exhaled sharply and shut the book he was reading. He rubbed his eyes and massaged his forehead.

"At this rate, we're never gonna find a way to bring back mom. I mean, who knows? Maybe the only shot at opening up an other worldly rift was through the kid. But he's gone too." Dean said irritably and clenched his jaw.

Sam sighed and said, " I mean, yeah. Maybe Jack was the only way to get Mom back. He's gone too. I-I don't know what to do anymore."

I hated seeing them like this.

"Guys, come on.  There has got to be a way of getting them back! Don't give up now, not after everything you guys have been through. We will find a way." I said, looking at the boys, who seemed exhausted.

"You don't know that, Y/N. For all we really know, we might be throwing darts in the dark. This might all just be a wasted effort." Sam said.

"Come on, Sam. You know better than to just give up! I mean, if we had given up the moment the Darkness was released, the world would have gone to shit. We didn't know what to do and yet we still managed to do what we do best. We saved the world. When we were finding out ways to kill Abbadon, we didn't know what do. But we learnt that we could cure demons and that helped us later on with Dean." I sighed and continued, "What I'm trying to say is that there have been times where we didn't have a single clue about how we were going to deal with a problem. But we always figured it out. We have solved problems before and we'll do it again."

Dean looked unconvinced and Sam looked like he was deep in his thoughts. Then Dean looked up.

"Y/N, why do you care so much about Mary? I mean, don't get me wrong. But both of us have basically given up, but you're sitting there and telling us to keep looking. She's not even your mom"