You're You

You turn your head when I catch you staring. A faint blush on your rounded cheeks. Why the hell are you blushing? You’re staring at me I should be a nervous wreck. I am, on the inside. I mean you’re the smart good girl who gets straight A’s. I’m the almost-below average so called “softball star” of the school. Why are you interested in me? I’ve been trying to grow some type of balls to talk to you, but everything that comes out of you’re mouth is a word I need to look up in the dictionary to understand. Every word I say shouldn’t even exist. But, I still want you. I’ve wanted you for a while. Ever since the boys smacked your books to the floor and I got suspended for kicking one of the oafs in the balls. I saw your eyes water when I told someone that I didn’t care about you and that I’ve always disliked the oafs that’s why I defended you. And fuck I shouldn’t have ever said that because now you hide from me. I apologized to you multiple times and you’d never answer, ever.

-

I’m going to try again today. I looked up words for you, though I’ve forgotten them already, the butterflies in my stomach fluttering to my brain. You’re walking towards your locker. Books snugged against your chest, glasses on top of your head trying to keep those brown locks out of your eyes. I count to three and make my way. Tapping your shoulder softly, you always look so fragile. You turn around confused, but a blush instantly covers those cheeks.

“O-oh hey, Lauren.”

You stutter it out and I don’t think you could get anymore adorable. I really can’t believe you even answered me. You haven’t said not a word to me since those bigots messed with you and I got them off your back. You’re too small to be picked on.

“Hey! I was wondering i-if maybe, I mean you could say no that’d totally be cool too, but anyway…would you wanna go o-out later, for some ice-cream?”

I fucking rambled in front of you. You have this annoyingly adorable shy smile on your face and it calms me down. I’m glad you’re smiling because of me again maybe you’re opening up.

“Yes.”

I have to think for a minute because I was sure you’d say no, but I heard yes. You look at me with those big, brown eyes and a cute little smile playing on those pink lips. I really want to kiss you. I always have. You stand on your tip-toes and plant a soft kiss on my cheek.

“I’ll meet you there at six.”

And you walk off. And I’m frozen because your lips touched my skin and I can’t even understand why.

So I guess I’ll be there at 5:00 to make sure I’m fully recovered before you get there. Because even though I’ve always spoke bad about you when someone thought I was interested you’re giving me a chance and what more could I ask for?

-

It’s 5:30 and I still have half an hour to prepare myself. The bell to the shop rings and there you are. In the shop half an hour earlier then you said you’d arrive. You take a glance around the shop and when you notice me your eyes grow big. I assume you didn’t expect me to be here so early. You walk over to me slowly and sit across from me. Before I can say anything you beat me to it.

“Don’t break my heart.”

Once you said that I realized that that’s how you see me in school. You see me as a heartbreaker because I was scared to say that I did like you, I do like you, or love you. And I stare at you because I would never break your heart because you’re you.

“I would never, if I ever even have the chance to retain it I surely wouldn’t even think about causing any damage to it.”

“Here’s the thing though…”

You start to say something and take a long pause and I want to claw my ears off because you’re teasing me. I thought you were going to say that we’d never be more than friends, even if we felt something for each other. But you didn’t say that.

“…you already have it.”

And I don’t think I’ve ever reached over a table to kiss someone so fast before. And I never will because you’ll always be you and I’ll always be me and together is where we belong.