Crawling Back to You

Like how it had been for half a year, the apartment was silent. Camila had grown accustomed to the lack of noise, despite it making her uncomfortable for the first couple months. She was in her bedroom - the bedroom that had been her and Lauren’s for two years - and stuffing her face with all sorts of junk food. Textbooks were sprawled across her desk and papers were highlighted maniacally. Being a third-year and majoring in Financial Economics at Columbia University was far from a walk in the park, and that night had been like countless other stressful nights Camila had to endure. Her brain felt like it was going to explode, but, then again, when did it not? 

She was in the middle of doing some calculations when the silence in the apartment was interrupted by the sound of the unlocking of her front door. Camila’s heart fucking stopped right then and there, and tears started to form because she knew that was it. It was bound to happen that her small apartment would get broken into and she would get murdered. It was New York City, after all. 

She instantly grabbed the closest thing to a weapon she could find, which happened to be the metal baseball bat Lauren insisted they have when the two of them were living together. Unlike the student, Lauren was prepared. After she left, Camila threw every item the singer left behind, except for the bat because, well, she knew it would come in handy at some point - at the current situation was a great example. 

“Really, Camz?” She heard a voice exasperate in annoyance and a bit of disgust when she placed her ear to her bedroom door. Camila’s grip on the bat tightened, but not out of fear. All the anger and emotions she had felt the past six months reignited her body, and she swung open the door to storm into the living room.

“What the fuck are you doing here?”

Lauren was bending down, picking up all the random clothes and school supplies Camila left messily scattered on the floor, when the student appeared with her face not hiding how pissed she was. Her look and her arms crossed over her chest was an obvious sign to Lauren that, yeah, this was not going to be a very warm welcome. 

“I- uh, well- um,” Lauren stuttered nervously. “Hi, Camz…?”

Camila noticed the suitcase and duffle bag by the front door, and her eyes widened because hell no. She looked at Lauren, giving her the coldest glare she could, and said harshly, “Get out.”

Lauren’s facial expression turned into one that looked like a kicked puppy and it fueled Camila’s fire. Lauren had no right to play the victim and act as if she had done nothing wrong when, in reality, everything between them went to shit because of her. Of course, Lauren continued by looking down and said quietly, “I have nowhere else to go.”

Camila rolled her eyes because bullshit. The singer had just gotten back from touring with her bandmates, who also lived in the city. She also had majority of her connections in the industry, as well as countless best friends. It was New York City and, somehow, it was as if Lauren knew every person in that city. She was just that girl.

“Give me your key and leave.”

“Camz,” Lauren let out and the pleading tone in her voice made it clear she was on the verge of tears. 

“Don’t call me that!” Camila nearly yelled. It was almost midnight on a Thursday night and the neighbors downstairs had ears like hawks. She inhaled a sharp breath then hissed, “Get the fuck out, Lauren!”

Lauren looked broken and, really, she felt broken as the girl she was in love with looked at her with nothing but pure hatred. Tears started to fall from her face and she tried not to sob too hard, but Camila noticed since Lauren’s silent sobs were the only sounds that filled the small apartment. Camila stood there, waiting, because she was not going to break. Sure, Lauren probably was exhausted from her however-many-hour flight from whatever country, but that was not her problem. They were over - they have been over, so Lauren’s issues were none of her concern anymore.