❧03

Storm of Leather

Taehyung wasn't the type to willingly wake up before the break of dawn, but then again his month at the beach wasn't the usual life. He was the first one up and getting ready, deprived of the smooth surfboard gliding on water for a year longer than the rest.

"Tae, turn off that light," Jimin's groggy voice rasped from under the covers. The younger stumbled out of the closet in his swim shorts and plain tee, ruffling his hair to add volume after squishing it into a pillow all night.

He grabbed the blanket coating Jimin in a second, ripping it away, and laughed when the elder shrieked as the morning chill hit his warm skin.

"What are you doing?!" Jimin sat up and groaned at the head rush that swamped his senses. "Ugh, what time is it?"

Taehyung jumped down to sit beside his slumped figure, slapping the elder's knee repeatedly. "It's five in the morning, but you need to hurry! The sun's gonna rise soon."

"You're crazy," Jimin groaned, falling back like a board tipped over and slamming into the mattress. "Go back to sleep, we can surf in an hour."

"Come on!" Taehyung pleaded, grabbing Jimin's hand and pulling him upwards again, the half-asleep male limp like a rag doll. "Please."

Through the hooded eyes, peeled open just enough to grimace in annoyance, Jimin let out a whiney huff. "Fuck, Tae, I just want some rest."

"Don't be a grandpa," the younger rolled his eyes, and pulled Jimin out of the bed, receiving little resistance that time. The elder stalked off to the bathroom, cursing under his breath as Taehyung skipped to the other bedrooms to awake the rest of the party.

He hardly needed any effort waking the elder two surfers up, both having slept earlier than the he and Jimin the previous night. The two younger ones were up talking, having met for an overnight journey after a long while as they attended different schools.

Taehyung was in the garage when Jimin came in, stretching and smiling at him with a much more pleasant mood plastered to his features than before.

"Good morning, Minie!" The youngest surfer was bouncing on his toes like there were springs attached. His emotions were in the clouds, soaring through blue skies and looking down at beautiful water.

He couldn't wait to hit the waves.

"Here," Jimin reached out to help him with the boards laying out in the storage space, the younger having screwed on the fins already. "Oh, look at them!"

Taehyung admired the sleek finish of the surfboards with his best friend, eyes gazing at how each one was personalized to fit their tastes.

"Take yours and Jin's," Taehyung monkeyed through the gaps between the boards to turn them onto their sides and let Jimin hook them in his arms. "I got Hobi's."

The two carried the hefty boards around the side of the house to the back, catching Jin and Hoseok meeting them from the porch.

"Big day!" Hoseok exclaimed, smiling with brighter joy than upcoming midday sun. The sky was still dull, murky air perfect for their morning plans.

Taehyung looked out at the dark water as the four surfers approached it, the summer air still warm despite the lack of direct light. Every few tides, perfectly large waves arose and curled in, crashing down into little edges of foam grabbing the shoreline moments later.