❧08

The Story Behind

Taehyung had imagined the encounter with his savior plenty of times— every time he wasn't shriveled up and cowering from the ocean, in fact.

He imaged a mental ray of color washing over his currently dull life. They would be standing there, and not only would his chance to express gratitude exist, but also the chance to ask for help. Help him out of the chaos he was drowning in.

They would be like an angel and grant him his wish, help him overcome his fear and he would befriend someone new and old, his savior and his ocean.

Of course, life never went as planned.

Not for Taehyung at least.

Because instead of his confusion clearing, it increased tenfold.

He was trying to deny the hard cold facts before him.

Because a biker, a trouble causing, legally rebelling, handsome mess of a man, was someone he knew he shouldn't get deep with. Or that what he had been led to think by how they showcased themselves. The bikers didn't let people in deeper than the surface, and that was perfectly fine with the surfers.

Except Taehyung had promised himself to take a step forward when he found his person.

Why? Why Jeongguk? His life would have been so much easier with some stranger being his cause of survival.

It made so much sense, though, no matter the size of his denial.

Jeongguk's sudden seriousness when he brought up the novel terror of waves, his sly comments that he should have pieces together long before the obvious factor of the tattoo.

That beautiful tattoo.

Why on his back?

"Hey, so I know we hate each other, but thanks for saving my life. No, I won't repeat that so I hope you heard it the first time. You, uh, risked your life to save me so thanks—"

Taehyung let his head fall against the bathroom mirror, a loud groan filling the hollow space. His fingers clenched the counter's edge as he pulled away and stared into the torn eyes watching him.

"Now that's just rambling." He scolded himself. "Just keep it short and simple. Thanks for saving my life, Jeongguk. That's it, then walk away."

How likely was it that he would follow said plan?

Very low.

Even Taehyung knew that.

"Goddammit." He grumbled, incredibly sour rather than grateful.

Walking away after a short apology wouldn't get him anywhere.

But did he even want to go somewhere with a biker?

"Risks. You take risks. You don't play it safe." Taehyung reminded the reflection, finger pointed at the glass. "Forget he's a biker for a moment and he's the only one who you'd even consider asking for help— consider asking to give up their summer to help you."

But Jeongguk was a biker. He couldn't just exclude that point.

Taehyung didn't even think the guy had a reason to save him except for the fact that he had been dying. It was probably pointless bringing up the topic of helping a surfer more when that someone sported leather.

"There's a rivalry. He's dangerous." Taehyung scowled at the porcelain top, gaze looping over the sink faucet absentmindedly. "He damages property and wrecks things for fun, Taehyung."